NE1 help re dual phase motor please?

So does the cooler do the job?Can I send my invoice for finders fee?BG

Mark

Reply to
mark

pressure

fee?BG

Mark,

Still in Wales so not seen it yet - hopefully being hoyked up today ! Apparently Don has sprained his ankle !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Why not get a single-3ph VFD to drive the motor? You can get them at reasonable prices from eBay, and you get the advantage of an infinitely variable motor speed too.

Reply to
lemel_man

The tailpiece to this saga . . . . Got into e-conversation with helpful guy at Brook Compton Motors about this ancient Gryphon motor. It isn't a dual voltage motor or indeed one that'll run on 3 or 1ph by changing the wiring. The wiring instructions for "low voltage" operation refer only to delta or star

3ph operation. So, we're either into trying the Peter Forbes approach or buying a new 2 pole, 1ph motor. Thanks to all for contributions.
Reply to
anywhere

Which implies that its a 3ph motor that can run on either 240v (delta format) or 415v (star). So you can use a single to 3ph VFD inverter to drive it from the standard single phase supply. You don't mention the power of the motor, but a 1hp VFD will cost around £40 to £50 on eBay.

Reply to
lemel_man

A "last final" note on this . . . This morning I put Peter Forbes' suggestion to the test and to my surprise the motor accelerated, slowly at first, then ran perfectly. I may now try a 20mfd capacitor to maybe improve initial acceleration. Renewed thanks, this has saved us much time and aggravation

Reply to
anywhere