New Lathe question

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Even worse, IMO, are those sellers who add a buyer's premium to the bid price, like nasty auctioneers. If that's not contrary to eBay rules, it jolly well should be.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

The solution is in the buyers hands, stop using (crim)eBay, but then the illusion of getting a 'bargain' is just to great for those addicted to (crim)eBay...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Not in the least. Merely use the link to report the sale to ebay. It will get pulled very quickly.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On or around Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:37:34 +0100, David Littlewood enlightened us thusly:

It is, I think. certainly they pulled one of mine for "if paying by paypal add 3% to help cover the fees".

I re-listed it as no paypal...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:39:52 +0100, ":Jerry:" enlightened us thusly:

that really is a narrow and pointless statement. There are all manner of things that I can find or get from ebay sellers which I'd have no end of hassle or pay more for otherwise. Also, if I'm selling, I can spread the word far wider than I ever could otherwise.

Undoubtedly, there are crooks, but most aren't, and as for ebay's policies, well, yes, they're in it for a profit - but for example, if I wanted to accept credit card payments directly, I'd have to get onto the bank for a merchant account which would cost me quite a lot even if they let me have one.

Overall, ebay and paypal are more good than bad. It's also possible to dodge the really bad ones, most of the time, with care and a touch of luck.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What needs to happen is for (crim)eBay to be pulled, along with it's bed-fellow PayPal...

Reply to
:Jerry:

I re-listed a couple of items recently and got an automated notice saying that offering PayPal was compulsory for that item - sod that!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Bye bye troll.

Reply to
Mark Rand

On or around Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:10:46 +0100, Richard enlightened us thusly:

that's a new one. might depend on the listing type.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It is a new rule. Provide payment information ?- Choose the payment methods you?ll accept from buyers. PayPalPayPal is a fast, easy, and secure way to accept credit card or checking account payments on eBay. To keep eBay a safe place for both buyers and sellers, sellers who register after 17th January, 2007 are required to offer either PayPal or a merchant account credit card as an accepted payment method

Reply to
Lester Caine

Sounds like a complaint of the OFT would be justified, as this is a clear abuse of a dominant trading position ("If you want to trade on the only significant on-line auction system, you must use our extortionate in-house bank"). No, I'm not going to do it, I never sell, only buy.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood