(slightly OT) copper disc source?

For culinary purposes, I wish to make a heat diffuser for my gas hob.

For low heat simmering, gas is not ideal; you need a head diffuser, or (very) thick soled pan to work well.

My cunning plan is to make a copper hotplate; a rather simple piece of fabrication, comprising a copper disc (slab!) around 6-8mm thick, and around 7-8 inches diameter.

Can anyone advise on the feasibility of this, and also indicate where I could the material, and any guessed as to cost?

Of course this project is trivial enough that a should a copper rod of adequate diameter be available, a machine cut slice of stock is the finished item...

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

for a quote you could ask

they list round bar upto 4" dia, but other stuff is available. Id expect it to be spendy tho (~=A3100 as a guess)

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Well it's plate you're after not bar but anyway. Aluminium also has a very high thermal conductivity and a slice cut out of a plate of that would be much easier, and cheaper, to obtain. I doubt many people stock copper plate

6mm thick and fewer still would ever have a need for bar 7" in diameter. Any firm that does laser cutting will have aluminium plate suitable for your needs.

As an aside it's interesting that brass, despite being mainly copper, has a relatively poor thermal conductivity. Not much higher than the zinc it's alloyed with.

Reply to
Dave Baker

While copper is the best material, it's also the most difficult to source. How about a cast iron plate? A suitable car flywheel can be machined to suit and would cost very little. Also remember that one of the major advantages of gas cookong is the rapid response to flame change. A large heat sink will change all that.

John

bugbear wrote:

Reply to
John

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Oh, you might look for a copper gas kettle and cut the bottom off - they have fins on the bottom to improve the transfer of heat.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Yes - I suspect that cutting a circle from plate is far more likely - I was being slightly facetious with my slice-of-an-enormous bar concept.

Indeed, but substantially inferior to that of copper.

Auminium is my fall back option if my dream of copper comes to naught.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Yes - but sometimes you want a slow, uniform simmer.

Whilst I can't make an electric hob quick, my proposal makes a gas hob slow, giving me (sort of) then best of both worlds.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Hmm. Given the cost of copper, and the laws of physics, an Alu plate of twice the thickness may be cheaper (and have the same heat conductivity) as a copper plate.

It's the difference betweem heat conductivity of an object and specific heat conductivity of a substance.

BugBear (with options)

Reply to
bugbear

Most kitchen shops sell perforated double-skin steel ones that last about 3 years and cost a few quid. They work well and for me at any rate I've got better uses for my time. hth

Reply to
Roland Craven

Why make one when there are commercial ones available at only a few pounds.

Have a look in John Lewis, Debenhams etc.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

It does so at the expense of fuel economy. The bigger the lump of metal you need to heat up before the heat permeates to the pan, the more fuel you will use.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

On a 2 hour stock simmer, the extra (e.g.) 5 minutes to overcome the heat capacity of the plate seems a tolerable overhead.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

They work "fairly" well; I'm on my fifth. They're £2.50 from my ocal (excellent) hardware store.

Perhaps I haven't :-)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Would a slow-cooker work ? Or a standalone induction hob ?

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Both have merit, but do different jobs.

With a slow cooker, if you want to pre-brown the meat, you need a separate vessel.

Induction hobs don't work with all cookware.

(in passing, slow cooking is quite easily achieved with cast iron cookware in an oven. Further, saucepans that are simply MADE of copper are available, and very good, but monstrously expensive)

With my (indulgent) idea, I can brown the meat in a "normal" pan, and then slow simmer on my copper-plate.

It's just a whim, and cheap enough that I may well indulge it.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Yuck. Further reviewing of that page reveals that many common Alu alloys have heat conductivity far inferior to pure Alu.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

On or around Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:23:18 +0100, bugbear enlightened us thusly:

we've got some, but they go rusty and crappy-looking rather fast. Copper plate would be nicer. I was thinking about a solid steel one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah - I missed that; my little perforated ones are aluminium.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

On or around Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:41:54 +0100, bugbear enlightened us thusly:

Alu would make more sense. I shall invest, I suspect. the steel ones looked nice initially but whatver they're coated with is not gas-fire-proof.

Reply to
Austin Shackles