Newsgroup Servers

I'm on Tiscali but thinking of changing to BT but BT does not offer Newsgroups.
What are the best alternative Newsgroup servers and is BT + a
different Newsgroup sever a good deal?
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

depends what you are asking? news.btconnect.com works fine for me, I've been with BT since Globalnet was taken over.
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

ISPs are generally dropping news servers, and your best recourse is to register with one (or more) of the free servers, irrespective of which ISP you end up with.
Another alternative is to post via groups.google.com, but then you are disadvantaged that your IP address is published with each posting.
albasani
motzarella
aioe
x-privat
aioe is the worst of these because you have a daily limit of 25 postings and an on-going 10 minute limit of 5 postings. Sometimes, despite that you might not post for days or weeks at a time, these limits are restrictive especially upon returning from holidays.
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:57:50 +0100, "Alun"

Even if your ISP offers a news server, it is sometimes convenient to use a separate server, as your ISP may well object to you accessing their server from another ISP's network. This becomes a pain if (like me) you frequently travel around with a laptop and make use of whatever network the hotel provides to access the 'net.
Regards, Tony
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:50:42 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have been using news.datemas.de since before they started charging for the service, and it has worked well for me. They now charge a very nominal fee of 5 Euros/year and accept Paypal. You can sign up here:
http://news.datemas.de /
Regards, Tony
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Whatever makes you think that?
Dial 100 and ask the operator to put you through to BtYahoo sales.
--

Neil
reverse ra and delete l
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:50:42 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Wrong, Jim. Log onto snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com. It's served me flawlessly for at least five years. I'm using it to post this :)
--
Chris Edwards (in deepest Dorset) "There *must* be an easier way!"

I`m using btconnect.com to post this and have btinternet.com in the house and have never worked out why you need a newsreader. Mark.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Out of interest, why?
--
Charles Lamont

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:08:38 +0100, Charles Lamont

BT appear to have a good record. They offer a free wireless router and are a bit cheaper than Tiscali.
I'm slightly puzzled on the News server query. BT do not mention it in their website blurb. I knew they had an interest in Yahoo and presumably the Yahoo newsgroups so I asked them on their website if they covered Newsgroups, other than Yahoo groups.
The answer came back "Unfortunately no" !!!!
After reading the assorted UKREC posts I tried to ring BT direct. The sales group advised me that this was a technical matter and I should ring 0800 1114567. After working through the menus a technical adviser told me this was not a technical matter and I should contact sales!!!!!
Nevertheless the UKREC posts show that BT do in fact operate a Newsgroup service so I think I'll go ahead with the change.
Tiscali serve about 35000 newsgroups - is the BT coverage similar?
Jim
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 18:23:50 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

(snip)
    As ever, the information you get is usually limited by the intellect and experience of the cretin you happen to connect with when you make the call.
    It's to BT's shame that I can report that I had a similar experience when I first contacted BT's Customer Services a few years back. Several of their employees, including a supervisor, denied their parent organization offered a news server. On the plus side. I can't remember ever having had any significant problem with their Internet service in any way.
    When I last downloaded a full set of groups via snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com I seem to recall the take was well in excess of 40,000 titles.
--
Chris Edwards (in deepest Dorset) "There *must* be an easier way!"
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Almost a hundred thousand more.
--

Neil
reverse ra and delete l

I've been with Giganews since I originally went from ISDN with Demon to cable with NTL Still with them in ADSL under Griffin, but may not be when I go back to Demon in a couple of weeks after Griffin's slamming of their customers to Eurotel and the appalling loss of service that went with it
Currently 109182 groups.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com pretended :

Tiscali currently offer 58,411.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Jim,
I have BT Broadband and I get full news (Usenet) service from them. Usenet access is in the package and from memory there are 100k Groups supported, but I've never seen it as a chargeable product you can buy seperately. Surpisingly, they also support binaries.
I use MSOE to get at it (people spit at the mention) and it just works.
Never understood why BT don't own up to something that actually works very well!
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm currently using news.btinternet.com
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:50:42 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Oh dear, what is it I am using then?
news.btopenworld.com
Peter
-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
Peter, news.btinternet.com and news.btopenworld.com are one and the same. I have used BT as my server and for news groups since I started and it gets cheaper every year, te wireless router they supply has never faulted and is fast enough for me.
Martin P

On or around Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:52:58 +0100, "campingstoveman"

I think you'll find it's actually giganews.
however, personally, I use news.indivdual.net and it's been about the most reliable thing on the net for years. For 10 euros a year, it's well worth it.
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:52:58 +0100, "campingstoveman"

They are different divisions of BT, and as far as I know use the same source but operate different servers.
Trouble is, you can never find out from BT exactly which division does what!
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu