Nice lathe

6276668512 Title: HOLTZAPFFEL Antique Ornamental Wood Turning Tool LATHE

Any bets on what it goes for ?

I think the last one went for £31,500 and it wasn't as well equipped as this one.

458 watchers to date.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John, you MUST have enough floor left to squeeze that in - maybe the back bedroom?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

John,

There are all those frustrated buyers from the Engineerium auction which never happened. Unless I have been wildly misinformed the collection has been saved leaving loads of people with very deep pockets bursting to buy something !

I still find it amazing how much these go for.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

That auction was scheduled for yesterday, what happened?

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Are the Chinese building replicas yet?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree
-

Apparently one man bought the lot, and so the auction was called off. He's planning to continue to run the museum, with some management/operational changes, but basically the collection's staying where it is and should still be open to the public.

Cheers

Alastair

Reply to
Alastair

I was at the auction (and know Jonathan Minns the owner of th

collection and manager of the Engineerium).

It was very dramatic. The auction was due to start at 10:30. At 10:2 they announced a 30 min delay due to technical difficulties - w assumed they meant phone lines/internet or somesuch. At about eleve the auctioneer stood up and said he had never had such a dramati announcement to make. After through-the-night negotiations the entir colection and site had been bought by a local man. Cheers went up an everyone except the vultures beamed from ear-to-ear. I really thin three-quarters of those present were very happy not to be able to bu anything.

Our local rag has more details:

(Search under: 'Tycoon's £3 million museum deal by Sara Wallis', i this is no longer the lead story)

A very happy ending to a nearly sad story. Anyone who has an interes in this forum should make a point of visiting the Engineerium if the are in the Brighton area. The (fully working) workshop is one of th last with large machines still running and doing real work fro overhead line shafts. I am told the Lancashire boilers which supply th beam engine are the oldest continuously working boilers in the world.

It's a wonderful place for anyone, but especially for steam people.

Cheers

Mat

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

It's really nice to hear of someone with that much money making such a philanthropic move. Sadly all too rare.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Phoned my local guru about the sale and that there was couple in Leningrad- St Petersburg. Query belonging to King Peter.

Reply came that Tolstoy used his between writing chapters on War and Peace!

"Turning the pages?"

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Went for a mere 25K....

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Finished up with 522 watchers. on it.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Does anyone know when it will be fully open again? Their website thingie is still showing as

"Sadly, after serving the community for some thirty two years, the Trustees of the British Engineerium have been unable to raise the funds necessary to continue, and have finally and most reluctantly closed the museum."

Was just thinking it'd be a nice day trip.

Ed

Reply to
zedbert