Oil cans

Why do pump action oil cans leak? I have two that both mysteriously accumulate oil over the outside and onto the shelf where they are kept. I initially thought changes in air pressure were causing the oil to vent via the spout, but having drilled vent holes in the bodies the oil still comes out, so that can't be the reason. I now store them on a bucket lid to prevent contamination of everything around them, but surely there's a better solution.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

One of mine does, the other doesnt. The difference: the leaky one has a rolled seam at the bottom, the other one has it at the top.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

I've got a plastic one that leaks too. I think it leaks somehow from th

thread at the top when the oil in the spout runs down after use.

BTW, I replaced the Myford oil nipples on the ML7 with the lock-on bal types, and I have now finally solved the lubrication problem on my ML7 I just use a Lumatic grease/oil gun filled with the appropriate oil. cant leave any oil in the gun because it leaks, but at least the slide and bearings get some lubrication now!

Regards,

Garth

-- DR_

----------------------------------------------------------------------- DR_G's Profile:

this thread:

DR_G

I have one of the 'new' myford oil guns, which errr.... doesn't leak at all. A big change from the previous ones apparantly.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

These would be the ones that look suspiciously like the ones that Nick sourced for some of us a while ago?

It's strange how Tecalemit were making oil guns for half a century and couldn't get their head around keeping the oil roughly where it belonged.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

The designers of the Torrey Canyon and Amoco Cadiz had the same problems....................

.
Reply to
John Stevenson

Visions of Buccaneers dropping 1000lb bombs on an ML7 to break up the spilled oil :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

And missing !

Reply to
John Stevenson

Be fair John it was 40 years ago, I expect they had some flowers up the bombsight (it was 1967) and it was swaying a bit side to side, still I suppose that is no excuse the Bismark only took one shell to sink the Hood and that was over 60 years ago and they were both moving. From the BBC at the time:-

"the RAF and the Royal Navy have dropped 62,000lbs of bombs, 5,200 gallons of petrol, 11 rockets and large quantities of napalm onto the ship. Despite direct hits, and a towering inferno of flames and smoke as the oil slick began to burn, the tanker refused to sink".

Obviously hadn't heard of their "carbon footprint" in 1967?? I expect it was the wrong sort of water - kept putting the fire out at high tide.

Keith PS Made for good black and white TV pictures though

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Hi ya, I have the same problem with my ML7. I bought some new ball type oil nipples from Myfords while at their open week. Obviously, I can't use an ordinary oil can on these nipples, so what is so special about the tip on the 'correct' oil can that can allow them to be used on these nipples? Can I modify my own oil can/s ? .... or do I need a high pressure grease-gun type thing?? Cheerso Brad.

Reply to
Brad.

An oil can that doesn't leak?? Very odd, like a Royal Enfield that doesn't. Are you sure there's any in it?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I have one of the original Tecalemit ones , I just replaced the leather washer/gasket in the cap ,and it leaks no more.

My Mother was employed at the Tecalemit factory here in Australia for many years ,they used to produce some very nice garage equipment like grease guns and foot pumps .You don't see them about now . The factory is still in operation though .I think they still make hoists and engine oil filters.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)