OT: How to scan transparencies

There has to be a simple answer. I have an HP "all in one" printer/scanner.I need to scan some transparencies. How do I do it? I'm not adverse to spending money on the right kit but what is the right kit?

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles P

We have two Epson scanners, a 1240 and 1250. The 1240 had an optional slide scanner attachment which was available separately and plugged into the back of the main scanner. This replaced the scanner lid.

The 1250 had a smaller slide scanner included with it.

In both cases, the add-on provided backlighting so the main scanner could scan the slides. The 1240 unit had slide carriers for up to 120 film size, the later one was 35mm only IIRC.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Depending upon how they were made in the first place simply treating them as paper often works. Failing that put a mirror on top (often leads to odd shadows though) or give up on the scanner and simply photograph them held up to a cloudy sky (not usually difficult to find) or some distance away from a well lit white background.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Hi Charles, I bought a Maplin A99HW 35 mm scanner for £70 three months ago. It works very well but I was horrified to see 2 days later that the price had dropped about 20 quid!! 8^( If you are interested have a look at your local Maplins & see what the cost is now.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. Looks like HP don't make an accessory version for my scanner (not that I can find)

Dave- You suggestion sounds interesting. On their site it's still £70 quid but on Ebay the identical item is £40

Charles

Reply to
Charles P

Are you sure you've not got the accessory you need? My HP "all in one" has it "stored" under the lid- it looks like a "ladder" but, unless you know it is there, could be taken for a plastic moulding.

I've never had reason to use it, so can't comment how well it works.

Brian

Brian Reay

My son set this set up up a few years back:

Now run by my ex daughter in law, so my only interest in it is that it keeps some of my grandchildren fed!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If you have a digital camera with a decent resolution and macro capability, a good option is to use that to copy your slides - set the camera up on a tripod & point it at a slide holder. Use a diffuser (piece of ground glass, white translucent plastic, whayever) and illuminate from behind. Vary the lens to slide distance and/or the zoom settting to get the right framing.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I use a light box originally intended for previewing slides. Works fine with my DSLR.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.