spoke as micrometer?

Hi all, passing by and thought I might drop off a query. I saw a film about Burt Monro earlier, googled him and read that he
used a micrometer made from a spoke. But subsequent googling gave me no info on how he acomplished this. Does anyone here have any idea as to how this works? Any (relevant) thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks all.

internal bore, fixed length

I have no direct knowledge but I suspect he might have used a cut-off spoke and nipple as a form of hole gage, to be measured/compared with a suitable outside gage or micrometer. When I worked in a cycle shop many years ago we measured cylinders with a wornout inside micrometer which was in turn measured with an outside micrometer.
Don Young (USA)