OT:(?) Polyethylene granules

I'm not sure whether any model engineers use these but I'm after some low density polyethylene granules (2-3mm), as used for injection moulding, with a specific gravity of between 0.9 and 0.95 so that they just float.

I only want about 6 litres at the moment but may want a total of 30 litres later. I'm sure I came across them somewhere when I didn't want them but I can't find them anywhere now.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm near Tadcaster in North Yorkshire, it would be appreciated.

Reply to
Rodney Pont

Hello Rodney

I had a word with a man who knows....

The low density polyethylene granules are used by moulders to flush the moulding machines... ( it's cheap at £ 800 the tonne :-) ).

Apparently most moulders should have these granules in stock for flushing use

I suggest you use yellow pages to find some local moulder who will sell by the kilo..... If you want a few *tonnes* I may be able to help :-).

Hope this helps

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Thanks Jonathan, I'd been trying to find a milk bottle manufacturer locally but that will let me widen my search :-)

Reply to
Rodney Pont

The only economical way to get such small quantities is to find a local moulding company that will sell you some (there's bound to be one fairly nearby -the smaller the better for this kind of thing). The minimum size of bag you can buy is 25Kg, but for quantities of less than a tonne most suppliers charge "small lot" prices, which can be several hundred percent higher than the tonne rate. LDPE is quite widely used, and also used by plastic extruders as well as moulders.

You might be able to blag a sample from someone if you convinced them you were an injection moulder looking to change suppliers -but it could take some explaining when the sales rep turns up at your house expecting a moulding factory

I don't know about it being commonly used as a purging agent, I think anything that's cheap and to hand gets used -so it would depend if it happened to be used in the factory or not.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Thanks Kevin, It doesn't have to be LDPE, any granules that will float will do. Since it's slightly lighter than water I presume 25Kg will be about the amount I want in total.

I'm trying to make a bubblebead filter like

but being off sick at the moment I can't stretch to one of these :-)

Yellow pages will be useful now that I know what I'm looking for so thanks again to all who replied.

Reply to
Rodney Pont