How do I paint wires?

I'm using some strands of telephone jack wire to detail a cockpit...not sure how to get paint to stick to it. It is currently silver and I want to be able to paint it black and copper...any suggestions would be appreciated! When I've tried it before, the paint comes off very easily...seems like there should be a way let it grab hold of the wire a little bit better.

BTW...if there are sources for this information, please let me know. I keep "googling" stuff but it's not been helpful...sorry for posting so many questions...

Cheers!

Scherer

Could you paint it with gray metal primer first, then overpaint it with the black or copper?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Copper is easy - just find another stranded wire that is not tinned. It will have natural copper color (as that is what wire is made of).

Black and other colors: Do not use paint. Use permanent markers. In USA there is a "Sharpie" brand of permanent markers. I've seen dozens of colors available. I use black and silver and since the ink layer is so thin it stays on the wire even after flexing it.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

[...]

If you're building for permanence - museum display etc. - it might be worth considering the longevity of the pigments and binders these 'permanent' markers use.

There's a discussion the subject here:

In my experience permanent markers tend to fade - especially those that use dyes rather than solid particulate pigments.

I haven't tried it but maybe a mix of J&J floor polish (Kleer, Future, One-Go etc.) and India ink?

Reply to
yowie

Krylon primer does a good job on both plastic and metal. That is what I use.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Took the words right out of my mouth Peteski.... I second his remarks.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Not sure how well it works as I haven't tried it, but Micro-Marc has a product called BLACKEN-IT. Claims to blacken brass, steel, nickel-silver and most metals except aluminum and stainless steel.

Reply to
Tom

I use Blacken-it but it gives a sort of dark gray aged finish (not a solid black) and sometimes it develops a slight "frosting" after some time. I suspect that happens because I don't completely clean it off my parts.

If this type of finish is desired then Blacken-It will be perfect.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

You really need to put some primer on the wires. I use Tamiya metal/ plastic primer. Also, there's a Mr. Metal Primer available.

Reply to
Pauli G