OT Vent Axia fans

Anyone happen to know how the speed controller works on a Vent Axia fan? I have a 9" fans that has died, or maybe it's contoller has died. When turned on the fan will jerk in a direction set by the controller but not continue even if spun by hand.

The fan seems to have 2 windings connected in series, both of which measure out ok on a meter, and also if I flick the fan they both generate emf, so I suspect the motor is ok. Boths ends of the series coils, and the centre tap go to the controller.

The controller has apparently no active components, just a block whose shape implies a transformer, and switching for air direction and three speeds.

I presume that the controller somehow gives a phase shift to one of the coils, and direction is govened by which lags and which leads, but with no capacitors in it I don't see how it generates the shift.

Anyone got a clue how these things work?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Sorry Andrew, no idea. We use a bat with a string tied to one leg

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Does it run on single phase then?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

We have a working controller at home, I think it has the four-pin special plug on it for the larger fans.

If you want to borrow it, I can bring it in to the factory tomorrow and post it down to you.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

controller

series

Peter,

That is a very kind offer - I cannot keep being bailed out by you ! This fan was one you gave me a few years back!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Did you ask about warranty ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Hops.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

OK - does it hop on single phase? ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

He probably warranted that it would stop working after a few years ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I don't think that we are going to use the fan, it's buried inside the roof gable somewhere, and was only in service for a short period, the controller looks newish.

Let me know tonight if you want it....

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Yes please my saviour !!!!!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Surely it would be Bat tery powered.

I'll close the door on the way out.

G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

We will put you in the cells for that sort of comment!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin