OT With all this talk of gas ....

Maybe I could pose question here as so far Nil response on UK.d-i-y. to such a request last night.

I have an ancient Thorn M series boiler (M44 or M55) I think. The label with it's ID and operating gas pressure have long gone.

It has been playing up a bit in the last few days and I want to check that it was set to the correct burner pressure. Has anyone got one of these or know where to find out the correct figure.

I don't really want to get a 'man' out to it as being a 70's boiler they are bound to want to renew it for some horrendously complex beast and besides that I'm a tight g*t with deep pockets and short arms!

Any help welcomed

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Just a thought, but replacing an old 70's boiler with a modern high efficiency unit may well actually save you money (depends how much gas you use I suppose).

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

What the savings rate would be from getting a new heating unit depend

a lot on climate.

An average refrigerator from the 1970's uses enough more elextricit than one made 1996 or later that you'd save $15 to $20 a MONTH i electricity. That would pay off a new fridge in 2 years or les (unless you got some fancy thing with a TV n the door...). It can giv similar savings (percentage of operating cost) when upgrading to a newe heating unit

-- fhhuber50677

this thread:

fhhuber506771

I read somewhere online that a typical gas boiler installation in UK will burn gas costing about 2.5 times the cost of its purchase and installation during its working lifetime. No doubt there are sweeping assumptions made in coming to this conclusion with varying degrees of validity, but I can imaging that it is not too far from the truth

I have however considered a new boiler but I just make it add up. My annual gas bill is £200 (domestic heating only) This is because I built high levels of insulation into the house as I was refurbishing it and I chose to life in one of the mildest areas in the country. Even if a new boiler cut my bill by a third say, I'd possibly be dead before I recovered the cost. Also I have a spare boiler of the same model in the garage which I've not even started to raid for spares. Spare parts are still sold by my local agent and generally it is so simple I can mantain it.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin