Ping Mark Rand

Mark, was it you looking for wheel arbors for J&S 540 / 1400's? This one has popped up on ebay:

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Does the 310 use the same taper? I've got a couple of arbors with the same taper as the 540, but smaller flanges, guess they came from a T&C grinder.

BTW I'm still looking for a couple of arbors for my Elliott surface grinder, it's more or less the same taper as the 540 but takes 10" dia wheels with 3" bore. I've more or less resigned myself to having to make them.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Tim, look for wheel hubs for the J&S 1300 EUIR as that takes 10" x1" x 3" bore wheels and has a similar taper. Last time I asked they were £293 new but they do turn up on ebay sometimes (yes I did get some )

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If I end up with it and it turns out not to fit a 1400, you might get a parcel!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

... and that would be very nice !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've got one that looks like that, though I haven't polished it up yet (3.5" OD, balance weights missing just like the one in the pic.) Also two with apprently the same taper (ISTR I tried them on my 540 when I had it), but they are 3" OD and the taper large end is flush with the back. One more the same pattern as those two, but 2.5" OD, and the taper is about 20 thou smaller overall. These last three all have 3 balance weights, & all have LH thread on the wheel nuts. I've got one more arbor with 3/4" parallel keywayed bore, 1.5" long, with balance weights. All surplus to requirements, open to offers. I received a selection of grinding wheels today in a job lot off ebay, the main thing I wanted in the lot was 3 arbors to fit my Cinci No2 grinder. Some of these wheels are 7" dia (540 size) but with a slightly recessed centre, but 2 different grits on the same wheel. Anyone know what these are made for, & can anyone make use of them? Rough grinding & finishing in one operation??

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Thanks Andrew. What's a 1300 EUIR when it's at home? Please let me know if you come across any more Have you found a source for that size of wheel at a reasonable price?

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Sounds like putting custard on your meat & 2 veg or gravy on your rhubarb crumble, and thinking you've had two courses in one!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

surface

price?

Tim, I'm still on the original wheel that was on the machine when I bought it 10 years ago ! The 1300 EIUR is the J&S version of the 27" between centres cylindrical grinder that has a rise and fall head, so can double up as a (very large) tool and cutter grinder. I can probably dig out a spare wheel flange if you want to borrow one to check that the taper is the same as yours, but don't leave it too long as everything is getting palletised here ready for M day (date not set yet). At the moment the J&S stuff is already in bullet boxes but still accessable. I was lucky enough to be in a tool dealers that had just scrapped a 1300, but kept all the goodies like flanges and collets, chucks, steadies etc, and was able to stagger away with two huge tote boxes of Christmas presents

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Tim, a few years back I picked up some oddball wheel flanges from G&M tools in Ashington. The wheel sizes were standard, but the tapers not quite right for my machine. It was but a few minutes work on the J&S1300 using the internal wheel to tickle them and make them right! These were actually for the T&C grinding spindle end, and originals are like the proverbial hens teeth.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew

Sadly these are too big in the taper department to make adapting them to my Cinci a practicality. I feel sure they were made for some variety of J&S grinder. The largest one *is* for a 540.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

For sharpening JCB buckets and bulldozer blades?

Result!

PS My March T&AC grinder has been very useful in the last couple of weeks. Haven't tried to sharpen any spiral cutters yet, or tried out the shaper.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

pic.)

taper

balance

wheel.

right!

Perhaps Mark might be interested in it?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm frustrated. I actually changed the wheel on the 1400 tonight (150 grit seems to work a lot better than 46 grit for form grinding :-). Trouble is, I didn't measure the flanges or taper.

Maybe tomorrow.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

collets,

David, I noticed a Clarkson drill grinding and tap relieving attachment on ebay the other day if you're still looking for one

(can you bring me a 3CX down from Heywood next time you do the north / south trip )

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

Couldn't find it? Do you have a ref. number?

WTF? Will it fit in my car (preferably without depositing a gallon of oil)? If so, fine. Going next week, but collecting something for myself in Lincs. which will take up a bit of the room.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

north /

David, no nor can I find it, it must have finished. It was sitting at £275 for quite some time but probably went for more than that.

A 3CX is an 8 ton 'backhoe excavator' made by JCB - the classic yellow digger you see by the side of the road, and I'm afraid that yes it probably will deposit loads of oil in you car as the budget will only run to a 20 year old one! But if you can get it in the car, the oil will be the least of your problems

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

What's the problem? If you set off at 08:00 from Heywood, you could be in Bromley by 18:00 :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mawson

gallon

Barely, and it would probably use up the entire life left in the poor old beast - I reckon the Ping Transport Company needs a bigger trailer

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Not sure that the ever loving employer would like their Volvo described as "Pings Transport Company". Nor, come to think of it, would the clutch like an excess of the abuse that it got shifting the CVA.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping