Plastic Granules

Can anyone point me at a source of plastic granules in relatively modest quantities? I'm looking for HDPE and only need about 10 kgs. I can find sources of it at a ton at a time but don't need that much.

TIA

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If you can't, then searching the usual source for "HDPE rods" throws up an alternative, neatly chopped up in 2 dimensions. Given a shear, the third dimension should be relatively quick for small quantities...

Failing that...

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

If you want to mould it you could try the regrinders who will be more flexible than the virgin suppliers an alternative is to ask some one who is moulding it and try and scrounge half a bag.

Peter

Reply to
petercolman45

No I'm making machineable wax, but no doubt reground would be perfectly adequate as I'm using plastic milk bottles at the moment !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

How are you making machineable wax out of HDPE? What's the process? Is it fairly easy? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

I have cast and machined candle wax with some success, the secret is to put it in the 'fridge to harden it. Peter

Reply to
petercolman45

Melt candle wax, raise temperature to about 130 degC, stir in LDPE/MDPE / HDPE pour into mould

1 part plastic 4 parts candle wax (I actually put 10% styrene in the wax first though not essential) Takes a long time for the plastic to dissolve, and the greater the surface area to volume ratio of the plastic the quicker it will dissolve. I've been using cut up plastic milk bottles. Make sure you don't overheat the melt or it will burst into flames. Absolute tops is 190 degC. Use an ir thermometer frequently. Deep fat fryer is the easiest pot but get one with the elements on the outside of the pan not the inside.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Does it make good chips too?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Very chewy with a slight Kipper tang

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks for the info Andrew. I'm going to try making my own. Probably save a few cutters from destruction. Eric

Reply to
etpm