2 1/2" Plastic Tube Sources?

I'm doing a G gauge kitbash and need about 6" of about 2 1/2" O.D. plastic tube for a boiler that I can bond securely to a polystyrene cab, smokebox
and domes. Google lists sources for custom produced material or industrial size quantities, but I'd like something inexpensive. I've looked at plastic pipe and fittings at the Home Depot, but I have doubts about the ability to get a strong bond between the pipe materials and the polystyrene parts. I've looked at the plastic odds and ends at the local thrift shop, but have yet to find a suitable container or toy or nick-knack to salvage. Anyone got any ideas? Geezer

Try Plastruct Plastic-Weld (orange label) .
It should work, test it on some scrap styrene first.
On 11/11/2007 7:09 PM Geezer spake thus:

Get yourself some ABS pipe (of the plumbing variety) from a plumbing place. Hell, if you find a nice one, they might just *give* you the half-foot scrap you need.
And don't worry about bonding: yeah, I know they make different cements for those materials (ABS, styrene, etc.), but they all work well enough with whatever kind of solvent cement you have. (I've worked with this stuff: made a storage tank out of a piece of pipe with a styrene cap cemented onto each end.)

Yup. I've scratched HO scale grain elevators out of ABS as well.
Works fine, and is practically bullet-proof as well.

I make brass tubing caddys out of pvc pipe and sheet plastic. The plastic being used for the bottom and it sticks fine with regular model glue. My latest is 6+ years old.
Geezer wrote:

Around here (Portland, OR) first place I'd look is a chain store called TAP Plastics, both for the tube and a suitable solvent / adhesive.
www.tapplastics.com
In your local or nearest big city I'd also look in the yellow pages under "Plastics".
On 11/12/2007 8:03 AM jJim McLaughlin spake thus:

They do have acrylic tubing; however, the 2-1/2" size will run you almost $22 for a 6' piece. Better to get a piece of ABS pipe that size.
TAP is a great place for all kinds of plastic stuff, though, including solvent cement (much cheaper than those tiny bottles the hobby store sells). But hell, you can always just pick up a can of MEK for that.

He's only looking for a 6" piece of tubing, not 6'.

Be glad he's not trying to sell the standard 20 footers...
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:54:30 GMT, Big Rich Soprano wrote:

A standard 10 or 20 foot piece at the local Home Despot would probably be cheaper than a 6 foot or even 6" piece at TAP.
--
Steve

Spoken like a true tight-wad! My hero!
On 11/13/2007 12:51 AM Brian Smith spake thus:

The point being, in case you missed it, that Tap only sells it in 6' lengths, not 6".
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Perhaps he'll do a job lot of twelve boilers???
Greg.P.

I would have no way of knowing that as the "Tap" doesn't exist here. Most people when looking for a small piece of scrap would simply ask a friend or a plumber if they had such a small piece laying around.
Brian Smith wrote:

Ummm. No.
Wrong, again, David.
But that shouldn't surprise us.
Certainly not the case at the TAP in Tigard, OR, where I have frequently bought tubing in 1 foot or smaller lengths.

Go look in the plumbing dept. of your hardware dealer, go look at sink traps and the like, lost of short pieces of plastic tubing.
-Hudson
On 11/14/2007 8:31 AM jJim McLaughlin spake thus:

Well, that information was from their web site. I've bought stuff from TAP, but it's been a while.
It certainly sounds reasonable that they'd let you buy a small piece if that's all you need. Probably depends on the local store.
Geezer wrote:

I don't know if 2 1/2" is a standard size in the US, but in-between sizes can be made by winding thin styrene sheet around the closest size down and cementing as you go. Vynall flooring makes a good covering between rubber bands and the styrene as you glue it on. you'll have a bump where the styrene goes over the previous layer but this can be filed and the remaining out of round placed at the bottom. Any plastic solvent should work, particularly the glue provided for plastic plumbing.
Greg.P. NZ