how do I install decoders in Athearn F7's

Hi: I am in the process of installing MRC 1651 decoders in my Athearn F7A and B Super locomotives. Can someone tell me how to install them without removing the Big Weight sitting on the frame ? I would like a solution that will leave the weight in the locos. the weight helps the loco's run smooth and pull hard. any help would be appreciated. Thanks Eddie

Reply to
E. T. Atkins

You will have to file or machine a recess into the weight to suit the decoder, and probably slots for the wires, too.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Eddie, Sorry, can't help you with the F7's because I've never put a decoder in one.

However, I can recommend that you stay away from MRC decoders. They are notorious for poor performance, premature failures and difficult (if not impossible) programming. So bad in fact, that many folks rip brand new ones out of locos that come equipped with them, just so they can install a *good* decoder.

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert