Poor service

It is unusual for us NOT to have following day from RS, but Luton is a Post Town and we are LU1 post code, so near the start of the delivery run. I think our guys come from London Colney, Herts.

Worst is Amtrak who are actually based in Luton/Dunstable, they turn up at all hours, or Parceline who came at 6pm one night for a collection!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

When I order from J&L I do it if possible at least 2 days before needing the goods. Not always J&L's fault, its the delivery company. It used to be securicor, now changed name to DHL, and would you believe it, we are in the same road, them one side of the traffic lights, me the other, but they have even used excuses that they couldn't find the address. I often go and collect from the if it goes into more than 2 days. Yes, I always ask for the next day service !! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Mark Rand wrote:

You can squeeze more than 40 % out of Cromwell on a small purchase without even trying,J&L will offer 35% without being asked.But the trouble with them is that they basically sell crap although J&L not so much so.We only use Guhring drills,below 15mm we buy ten at a time,standard discount 50%.We only buy Clarkson taps or Hydra as it`s known now.12mm and down ten at a time.That`s ten of one size.Now we don`t have to push hard for that discount,it`s there for anyone as is the pay in ninety days.Stuff like that we buy from a family owned tooling company in Aberdeen.Carbides come from them and Iscar,Sanvik and Cerratizit.The individual orders from each per month can be nil or a few hundred pounds sometimes it will be a few =A3000`s. Size of the company does not ensure better service.We used to buy all the parting tips from Iscar,one hundred a time at =A35.60 each.It took them and DHL seven days to deliver a tool that was in stock in England and on next day delivery to Edinburgh.The machine that stood idle waiting on that tool should have been earning =A374 an hour so now we use Cerratizit tips from WNT who as I said supply from Germany and who have never let us down in hundreds off deliveries. The point I`m making is that discounts are there for everybody somewhere.Bearings are another racket.The price you should be asked on a single bearing is list minus 75% a discount means you should pay list minus 85% at most.Electrical wholesalers?List minus 65% minimum. Back to RDG.LIke others I have bought loads from them,especially in the early Ebay days when the cheques were made out to a person.When you buy on Ebay you are buying from there because you`re not needing it in a hurry.Well I thought I would buy from their shop and pay for next day delivery.OK so it has not happened.I will be having my money back as I don`t need the thing anymore and I won`t be buying from them again,Ebay or otherwise. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Just to balance off th thread a little bit.

Placed order with RDG vey very late on night of Wednesday 10 Jan, ite arrived mid morning Friday 12 Jan, didn't ask for next day, rather goo I thought! Regards to all Chris Ros

-- tufocj

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tufocjr's Profile:

this thread:

tufocjr

It's funny how we all have different views on suppliers (but the overall kindoff has a uniformity to it). Tim, you say RDG "used to be a friendly bunch", ... unfortunately in my experience they never were that. I haven't used them for quite a few years after I ordered (what was supposed to be) an original copy of the manual for my Bridgeport. I paid =A319+=A33p&p. When it arrived it was a cheap and nasty (almost illegible) photocopy (worth at that time about =A32.50 or about =A34 including postage). When I complained that this was not what I ordered, or they had offered, I was told in no uncertain terms to 'go-away'. They claimed that they had only ever offered "...a copy of the Bridgeport manual". They fell back on the use of the word 'copy' (I read it as a published copy ..not 'photo'copy) but they simply refused to refund or discuss. So they entered my blacklist and have remained there ever since.

I'm sure that we all have tales of bad service from various organisations... but is it just me that seems to have an ever growing Blacklist of 'non-approved suppliers'? Surely it can't be simply advancing years and growing irascibility..... (in the words of the Lord Terry-Wogan.... "is it me?").

Ian

Reply to
ticktock

I think this whole problem is down the carriers in the main I ordered items from Screwfix last tuesday for 24 hr delivery at 2.30pm, got an email 5.00pm saying it was out with Parcelforce and got a tracking number. Checked PArcelforce next morning "arrived at National hub 23.00rs" No delivery Wenesday Checked tracking thursday morning "arrived Welwyn depot 23.00 hrs-wed " "out for delivery at 00.20hs." It arrived thursday 1300hrs phoned Screwfix having got nothing from Parcelforce at all. Screwfix said not Gteed service but apologised & sent me £10 towards my next order. Normally screwfix carriers get there on time

Mike Day

Reply to
Mike D

That's based more on seveal visits to their shop than on remote deals. I 'won' several largish items from them on ebay and always collected in person, always found them pleasant to deal with in that way.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

RDG. Once was enough for me.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

The consumer bears the cost of return postage only if the supplier specifically says so in the terms and conditions supplied to the buyer.

Also I don't believe the Distance Selling Regs mention the word 'unused'. After all, the regulations are to a large extent to allow purchasers to decide suitabability for purpose and states thst the consumer must take "reasonable care" of the goods.

The T&Cs have to be provided in a form suitable for the method of purchase. ie for phone orders they must be stated over the phone, for online orders they must appear online and for written orders they must be provided in writing.

For phone orders it is most unlikely that the t&cs will be specified and a number of online suppliers do not specifically mention the buyers cancellation rights anywhere in their t&cs.

Pat

Reply to
Patrick