Did I handle this trunk opening the right and leagle way?

I went to open a trunk of a car yesterday. The key was locked inside.

In order to save time, the company I work for gets the information from the customer like his or her name and discription, the make, model, and color of the car, and the customers ID and/or credit card number. When I get to the car I take the plate number and the VIN number. The dispatcher didn't do it this time as I found out later after the cops showed up as you'll see.

I located the customer who did not have a call back number at the car after matching his discription with the one the dispatcher gave me and told him who I was. I stated again the agreed upon price and method of payment and took the information from the car and opened the trunk. I didn't bother with checking his ID because I 'thought' the dispatcher already did that and because the keys were in the trunk, I figured the car belonged to him.

The customer then tried to crawfish on the 75.00 fee by saying it was only worth 40.00 dollars. I called the dispatcher and she talked to the customer again to 'remind him' that the agreed upon price was 75.00 to 100.00 dollars to do the job. The customer said "Fine I'll pay".

He then took the keys out of the trunk and told me he was going to see if his car would start. He started his car never putting it in gear. Now I'm not stupid, I blocked him in with my truck before I did the job. While the car was running he said he had 100.00 dollars in his pocket to pay me. I said, "Here I have 25.00 change. He said, "I dont want your money, lets go to the ATM machine". I said, "Give me your card and I'll run it through on my card reader". He said, "No, I want to go to the ATM machine because I need to get some extra cash". I said, "We'll go in my truck". He said, "No, I want to drive my car". I said, You told me you had the money to pay me in your pocket and now your telling me you want to go to the ATM machine. Your not going anywere in this car until you pay me".

I reached in the car, cut it off and took the keys. His eyes got about as big as grapefruits and I jumped in my truck and drove a few blocks away and called the police. Thirty minutes later the law showed up. I explained to the officer the situation, he took my personal information, and we drove to the car. When we got there, the customer was no where to be found. The officer ran the plate. We called the dispatcher and she told me she never got the customers ID, she claimed she was to busy. The officer made a report for 'theft of service' and I gave him the keys to book for evidence and I drove to my next call. I did not find out if the plate was clean before I left to go to my next call.

The moral of the story is never trust anyone else to get the customer information for you. You never know what you're getting into. Always get all the information before you do the job.

For the Texas locksmiths and lawyers out there especially but for everyone else too I ask this;

Did I do the right thing by taking the keys and leaving or am I going to have to worry about a problem with the law?

Glen

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I would say that you did the correct thing by calling the police. The only thing that I normally try to do it when I open the car, I grab the keys, until I'm paid. That has always worked well for me. I don't do many cars, but I feel that by holding the customers keys, I have shown them that I can get them as agreed, and in order to complete the transaction, he must pay as also agreed.

Reply to
Jack

Technically, once the keys were back in his posession, he could have tried to have you charged with theft (of his keys). Wherether that would fly or not mostly depends on the cop (and who's "side" he was on).

I agree with Jack, if there's any doubt (and especially if they complain about the price once you get there) hold the keys untill you get paid (but DO NOT leave with them). As long as you don't take them *and leave*, you didn't "steel" them. Just hang on to them until the police arrive.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

The cop was on my side. The key ring had a bunch of keys other than the car keys. I asked the cop if we should leave the other keys in the car and he said he would just go ahead and take them all. He told me he would have done the same thing as me.

I drove off because I didn't feel comfortable in the situation.

I was hoping someone from Texas could help me to understand the problem of possibly being charged with theft, someone that knows more about it than me. This is my major concern.

The company owner was the dispatcher that day and she told me to do it also. She also backed me up with the cops by telling them what happened.

He grabbed those keys quick when I opened the trunk. He knew right where to look.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

locked inside.

information from the

model, and color

number. When I get to

dispatcher didn't

up as you'll see.

at the car after

me and told him

method of payment and

didn't bother

already did that and

belonged to him.

saying it was only

talked to the customer

to 100.00 dollars

going to see if

in gear. Now I'm

the job. While the

pocket to pay me. I

machine". I said,

reader". He said,

some extra cash".

drive my car". I

pocket and now your

going anywere in

eyes got about as

few blocks away and

up. I explained to

information, and we drove to

be found. The

told me she never

officer made a

book for evidence

plate was clean

the customer

into. Always get

but for everyone

am I going to

not sure of texas law but if it were me, I would have personally retrieved the keys from the trunk and held them till I was paid..

Reply to
"Keyman

I know. I couldn't grab them quick enough.

I'm worried about going to jail for taking the keys and leaving to keep from either pulling a weapon or getting my head beat in by his buddies.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Hi Glen

I know what you went through all too well. Seems Houston has developed a barter system by customers. Once you're there and done they try to get 50% off because of "too fast" a job. You haven't a thing to worry about legally except filing charges against the customer if you wish to. I've had 3 theft of services attempts in the month of august and 2 were resolved by having the tech had the cellphone to their customer so I could explain how quickly I could have a cop show up. The third had his keys tossed back inside his locked car and faced paying an additional $25 to retrieve them a second time ( CASH in advance). Your customer can be charged with a few things, depending on the DA and the cop, like fraud, theft, and maybe assault if you actually felt in fear of your safety enough to have to leave the scene.

B.G.

Reply to
mr.bill

Thanks mr.bill. The person I sub contracted the job for and one other smith here told me not to worry about it but they have never been in that particular situation before.

It's nice to hear some good words from another Houston locksmith letting me know everything is ok. I kind of figured it would be after the cop told me he would have done the same thing but stranger things have happened when dealing with HPD in this line of work.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

That's the best way. It's the only way I like to do those night calls. That way also if the customer is really a robber he'll know I have no cash. The unfortunate thing here is there are a lot of people who have over extended their credit; no credit card.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Specially in this case since customer can't object on the grounds he wants to try the keys since they are his in the first place. However I can understand him not snatching them from the guys hand if the guy picked them up first sometimes it's hard to treat people like potential deadbeats even if they are starting to act like it.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Most mrechant accounts will let you place a hold on x$ on a credit card w/o actually billing the card. It's treated the same way as an actual charge though with regard to whether it will decline or approve.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

my work orders include collection procedures, and I record the VIN, PLUS they sign before working on it... they leave? sure, I got a signature and means of collecting... they pay any collection fees... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Hi All,

Well I'm a locksmith in the UK, and if I get a call, out of hours, if they don't leave a name and number we're told not to turn up. Some of the places we have to go too at 2am is well dodgy.

Reply to
Dan