Protecting Gears From Rust

Evening,

As per the subject - any ideas? I'm concerned that anything I cover it with will just end up chewed and the idea of using grease/oil along doesn't appeal to me since it'll be hard to get at once setup.....

Gear is 62mm diameter 60T MOD 1 of unknown steel spec.

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Down here Mobil can supply aerosols of Open gear lube, it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. Local equivalent could be this:

Cheers Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thanks Tom,

I'll look into it,

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Google Coupling Grease. That stuff sticks to things.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

That sounds like chain lube for motorcycles. The type in a spray can with some solvent in it. Sticks like mad, hard to remove, even with a power washer.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Nick,

British weather removes chain lube like nothing else :-( sticks to ya wheels ok, comes right off the chain! Brake cleaner takes it off OK too (to clean wheels, not on chains)

Zed

Reply to
zedbert

LOL! In my former life, I've been MX-riding and used Castrol chain lube (in spray cans). It sticked very well. Not comparable to chain lube out of bottles. That went off in no time.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I used to use these super-stick chain lubes on various motorbikes in my misguided youth.

They are absolutely superb at attracting and retaining all the muck and grit from the roads and turning it into a nice grinding paste to wear out the chain.

Modern 'O' ring chains don't need this at all, just clean then over with diesel or paraffin, wipe it off, then give the chain a wipe over with an oil-soaked rag.

Of course, they may work just fine on open gears on a machine which won't be subject to such a harsh environment.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Im almost out of my favourite steam cylinder oil wich when thinned dow

with a little kero' certainly does the job of protecting things fro rust,another is the use of lanolin wich has been used to protect bar metal restoration projects during work intervals

-- olmo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- olmod's Profile:

this thread:

olmod

Better than letting run the chain dry. At least in combination with O-ring chains. My observation during Enduros when it was raining or a lot of passes through rivers: The sprockets suffered much more because the dirt/oil paste was washed away quicker. It didn't make a difference to the chain since when I used Regina chains. The rest was crap. Especially DID chains. I needed three DID chains per season and the Regina was still perfect after a year.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

For 'just' protecting from rust (but NOT a lubricant) a superb gunge is Ensis Fluid (oil) from Shell. Goes on fairly watery and dries to leave a heavy, waxy coating a bit like Waxoyl. In fact probably Waxoyl would do the job pretty well and is a lot more available than Ensis.

Richard

Reply to
Richard