Question, blanking plugs

I'm machining some Rob Roy cylinders made of bronze. The steam path in the cylinder goes through a right angle, so it has two drillings and a threaded brass blanking plug.

Question is - how do I secure the brass blanking plug? Would Araldite be OK or would the temperature be too high?

Many thanks chaps

Reply to
Mart

If it is threaded then either a high temperature thread lock or some mechanical means to hold it in place. Araldite won't hold at anything like high temp's, and nor will standard loctite either for that matter.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Silver solder?

Reply to
Airy R.Bean

It really depends upon what you mean by "secure". If you mean to avoid them coming undone then a good firm fitting thread will avoid that, as there is nothing to cause them to unscrew. If you feel unhappy with that just drill for a small pin down the thread line, (not full depth) this will prevent rotation.

If you mean to make it steam tight then any good steam pipe joint compound will do the job.

The belt and braces is to fix a small plate across the plugs screwed to the casting. This will act to prevent the plugs coming out and form a secondary steam seal as well.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall