Quick question on keys for shafts

Is it common to obtain 6mm x 6 mm keys or 6 mm x 8 mm keys?

An internet pages suggests it should be 6 x 6 but a shaft minus the key seems to suggest 6 x 8 would fit better. The 8 mm being the height of the key into the shaft and gear the 6 mm being the width.

Just wondering if a half reasonable engineering store would carry these.

All the keys I have are imperial from a shop shutdown and although I could machine one down thats sure messy.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Unless it's a gib head key you don't really want it to be a tight fit radially. If it is you may have problems getting the pulley and shaft apart again..

Any reasonable engineering store will carry them. It's only worth grinding down a 1/4" key if it's after lunchtime on a Saturday. DAMHIKT

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

One clarification: The first number is width, the second heigt. All keys are either same height and width OR height smaller than width. So an 6 x 8 doesn't exist (under normal circumstances, before $someOne raises his hand).

You want a 6 x 6.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Standard is

6 x 6 8 x 7 10 x 8

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

This is my understanding too. I don't think I've ever seen a key which is taller than it is broad. I have a 3/8" x 1/4" taper key sitting on my desk which I removed from a machine a few months ago. Its proportions seem typical.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy