Record/ Irwin 25 vice

Of all the problems that need to get solved, it would appear the simplest is proving the hardest.

I have been given what looks like a new condition Irwin vice, Which to me is really a record quick release vice.

Problem is when vice is tightened, it doesn't grip.

I googled this, and even compared the quick release with another vice I have.

The only obvious problem I could see was the flat steel strip that holds the dog down, and activates the release, was twisted as opposed to the one I have that works which is straight, or flat.

So, I straightened it, but it hasn't cured the problem. Anyone got any ideas where the real problem lies ?

Bob

Reply to
Emimec

I suggest you look at the dog. Is the flat face worn so that it ramps over the thread under load?

Cliff Coggin Kent England

Of all the problems that need to get solved, it would appear the simplest is proving the hardest.

I have been given what looks like a new condition Irwin vice, Which to me is really a record quick release vice.

Problem is when vice is tightened, it doesn't grip.

I googled this, and even compared the quick release with another vice I have.

The only obvious problem I could see was the flat steel strip that holds the dog down, and activates the release, was twisted as opposed to the one I have that works which is straight, or flat.

So, I straightened it, but it hasn't cured the problem. Anyone got any ideas where the real problem lies ?

Bob

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Of all the problems that need to get solved, it would appear the simplest is proving the hardest.

I have been given what looks like a new condition Irwin vice, Which to me is really a record quick release vice.

Problem is when vice is tightened, it doesn't grip.

I googled this, and even compared the quick release with another vice I have.

The only obvious problem I could see was the flat steel strip that holds the dog down, and activates the release, was twisted as opposed to the one I have that works which is straight, or flat.

So, I straightened it, but it hasn't cured the problem. Anyone got any ideas where the real problem lies ?

Vices often wear the threads at the position of say less than an inch. Does it grip something 3" thick any better?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat