Recreating History

As model engineers, we are recreating history in reproducing miniature versions of steam engines, stationary engines and clocks.
Should we be interested in reproducing all of the components that made up the original?
I was musing recently upon the subject of, "Castor Oil"; why is it so called? Is it what was used to lubricate castors on furniture before the petrochemical industry came along? Which part of the Castor Oil plant would one use? (Assuming that one could even get hold of such a plant following on from the Ricin scare of recent months)
What oil was used in Oil Lamps, f'rinstance?
Anybody tried to make a working replica of an oil lamp?

I take it that you were referring to "seat of the pants" flying, which I understand does not require the use of an altimeter?
--
< Paul >

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:54:53 +0100, "Paul C. Dickie"

Possibly also situations involving hot lead being shot in your direction by the Red Baron or his buddies too...
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 19:58:48 +0100, Bob Minchin

I guess that certainly helped too ;-)
An old friend of mine, long since gone, used to fly Avro 504s with Le Rhone rotary engines. Apparently, these used 5 gals of castor oil and hour, 'most of which ended up on the pilot', he told me.