removing ballnuts

Just got a ballscrew+nut from ebay, and I need to remove the nut from the screw.

Any tips on how to prevent the balls going everywhere except where they should be?

Thanks,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Machine up a "keeper" from a bit of spare bar stock - flange at one end and the rest turned down to the root diam of the screw for the length of the nut plus 1/2" or so. Slide that into the nut as you unscrew the screw.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Thanks!

That's about what I thought, but a flange is an excellent addition.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

If you do end up with balls all over the place, you can put them back in by filling the grooves in the nut with thick grease or vaseline, then pressing the balls into it.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Total rubbish and nonsense. He will break them.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Two comments (the third I decided to censor):

1) Been there, done that, works fine. Actually, this was what the manufacturer suggested when I asked them. 2) What exactly was your considered alternative?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

His only alternative is to go into his toilet and find his brains.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

I do not know personally but have read that sometimes the balls alternate with undersize ones to reduce the friction. I seems it would be a good idea to measure them before installing to find out.

Don Young (USA)

Reply to
Don Young

Maybe we should start a new topic on "Removing balls from nuts"

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree