removing ballnuts

Just got a ballscrew+nut from ebay, and I need to remove the nut from the screw.
Any tips on how to prevent the balls going everywhere except where they
should be?
Thanks,
-- Peter Fairbrother
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 04:35:33 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

Machine up a "keeper" from a bit of spare bar stock - flange at one end and the rest turned down to the root diam of the screw for the length of the nut plus 1/2" or so. Slide that into the nut as you unscrew the screw.
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree wrote:

Thanks!
That's about what I thought, but a flange is an excellent addition.
-- Peter Fairbrother
Tony Jeffree wrote:

Total rubbish and nonsense. He will break them.
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:58:05 +0100, Guy Fawkes

Two comments (the third I decided to censor):
1) Been there, done that, works fine. Actually, this was what the manufacturer suggested when I asked them.
2) What exactly was your considered alternative?
Regards, Tony
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:03:04 +0100, Tony Jeffree wrote:

His only alternative is to go into his toilet and find his brains.
--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l

Maybe we should start a new topic on "Removing balls from nuts" <G>
Regards, Tony
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

If you do end up with balls all over the place, you can put them back in by filling the grooves in the nut with thick grease or vaseline, then pressing the balls into it.
Best wishes,
Chris

I do not know personally but have read that sometimes the balls alternate with undersize ones to reduce the friction. I seems it would be a good idea to measure them before installing to find out.
Don Young (USA)