Repairing damaged back gear teeth?

Hello Tim,

You don't by any chance have a 6dp cutter to rent? Or anyone else in the group. I will need one to clean up the cast iron gears for the 4" Little Samson some time in the future - once the b... garage is finished. Cheers GeoffH (The Pirate) Norfolk - UK not VA

Reply to
gch

I've got nos. 1,2,3,6 in 14.5pa, Nos 6&8 in 20pa. I've also got nos 4 &5 in 0.5 cp, which is pretty close to 6dp (6.28dp if my sums are right)

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Tim and John, many thanks for your kind offers. I've just had an email back from HPC, they want to quote to make a complete new set, I might as well have a laugh ;-) If their quote isn't silly money then it'll probably be the best option, if not I'll let you know and we can take things from there. Time wise, there isn't a huge hurry, I've still got to get the knee/table assembly in to my workshop and mounted back up on to the column. The motor is at the local rewind shop being converted to delta and having a general spruce up so I can run from a cheapo inverter

Marvin, I downloaded your program, it possibly works, but when I hit enter after putting in the value for DP the app quits so I don't get to see the results. Win XP SP2 (plus whatever useless updates MS has forced upon me!) Using the figures you gave though and my rather dodgy digital caliper they seem to match up pretty well with my gears, so it seems like you're on to a winner there.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

In which case we'll all wait for the laugh.............................

Read the bit on Marv's page about setting the options in DOS properties NOT to close the page on completion.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I've hada really rough week with work so I'm looking forward to some light entertainment!!

Oh, good grief! It's a shame I make a living out of software programming, I shouldn't be let near bloody computers! ;)

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

Go back and read the introduction section on my page. The problem is with Windoze and not the program. The introduction will explain how to adjust your system to see the answers.

Regards, Marv

Reply to
Marvin W. Klotz

Judging by the pricing of some of their off the shelf pieces, I'll here the roar from here - You might find that ROTFLMAO will apply.

Reply to
Steve W

20 deg PA teeth are fatter. If you were able to adjust the depthing for smooth(est) running, I still could not see it working really well. there woulb be much knashing of teeth, as it were.

Maybe driving a large 20deg PA gear with a 14.5deg PA pinion, with a very wide ratio of sizes.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Thanks Tim. I've been told I can use either pa, but I thinks I will go for 20. But then again . . . ? Will contact you when I'm ready. Regards

GeoffH (The Pirate) Norfolk - UK not VA

Reply to
gch

Since 28 teeth needs a No 4 cutter, and since Tim is a fair way from Norfolk, I should add that I've got a full set of RDG's finest Indian 16dp 14.5pa cutters, a mandrel to fit, dividing head and lathe etc, in Rugby. If that's any use. That's if you decide not to take up John's generous offer.

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On or around Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:36:52 -0000, "Dave Baker" enlightened us thusly:

I've done that on car window winder mechanisms, but the tolerances and so forth are not really critical on those.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hello Mark, Thanks for the offer, but . . Er . . you may be confusing me with Robbus who is after 16dp, where I am looking for 6dp? :-) But then maybe not, as my knowledge of gears in 0. All the gears on my Marlow appear intact, but will keep your offer in mind. Cheers

GeoffH (The Pirate) Norfolk - UK not VA

Reply to
gch

Yer right! Too many gears about at the moment. The offer goes to Rob (or anyone else who needs 16DP). But I don't know as he'd be better of seeing John and his hobbing setup.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Actually you're not too far off Mark, I'm next door to Norfolk in Cambridgeshire, just south of Peterborough. Having said that it's probably quicker to get to Rugby from here than some parts of Norfolk, Norwich is a 2 hour drive if the traffic isn't bad!

Thanks for the offer as well! I look forward to the day I have lots of fun tools and can offer my services, granted I'll still be rubbish at using the tools ;-)

Not heard back from HPC on the full quote, don't these people work weekends? Shocking!! ;-) I have seen that RDG are selling some Colchester (Bantam I think) 28T change gears, I've emailed and asked what the size/spec is on these, chances are slim that it'll be 16DP and

5/8" thick of course.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

Colchester are 16 DP and 14-1/2 PA but not 5/8" thick or I would have suggested G&M Tools who usually have a load. I have some here, not 28T but they are only 1/2" wide. Maybe the larger Master range may be wider. It's certainly worth a phone call.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

If it was me I would have taken John up on his offer to make you a gear. I have a couple of 21T gears he makes for the Myford, and very good they are too.

Also likely to be a *huge* order of magnitude cheaper than HPC, but it will be interesting to see what they come in at.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thanks John, RDG were not sure on the particular measurements, never mind, sounds like they're close but not close enough!

Did you get my email? My Hotmail account has been playing up for unknown reasons to me and is being really slow.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

Yup just a bit slow getting round to replies. It's on the to-do list

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Good-o, as long as the message got through. Pony Express would probably have been quicker of course ;-)

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

The quote from HPC is in!!

Just to keep up the tension, here's a link to it:

Whilst it's nice to know it can be done, I feel I shall be passing up this opportunity, especially as I paid less for the actual machine :-D

Over to you John!!!

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus