Rollers

A project forming is to make a driven roller for starting a 1950's

500cc racing car. The inspiration is here:
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=1147&.dnm=abb2.jpg&.src=ph

Starter motor, chain drive to roller, loose roller on the other side, Simple.

I could make the rollers from some 4 inch tube that I have stashed away but they look like the sort of item that is off the shelf somewhere - the question is where? They're 4- 5 inch od and are about 10inches long. Any clues chaps?

Thanks

Charles

Visit

The free pages to buy and sell workshop equipment

Reply to
Charles Ping

Charles

Think 'mechanical handling' - conveyor belt components etc t --

Chris Edwards (in deepest Dorset) ..."There must be an easier way...!"

Reply to
christopher

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=1147&.dnm=abb2.jpg&.src=ph

Charles, can't help with your enquiry but quite impressed with some of the pictures on the Yahoo link. Supercharger city!

Reply to
Duncan Munro

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=1147&.dnm=abb2.jpg&.src=ph

Yes, that was Shelsley Walsh Centenary meeting this weekend. Lot's of historic stuff - I was spannering for the aforesaid 500.

My top award for technical innovation goes to Nic Mann for in his own contsruction "Mannic/Beattie".

4WD, 1700cc, "turbo" run by a separate helicopter starter motor permanently running at full tilt (from a seperate kerosene supply). The result is no turbo lag and a phenomenal take off (0-60, uphill in less than 2.5 seconds!)

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

No but I make 4" roller for conveyors in screen printing drying ovens. To this end I have some 4" disks in 3.0 mm M/S with 25 mm holes in the middle and a small flat on the outside to miss the weld. I have these laser cut to size. You are welcome to a few if you want me to stuff them in the post if you resort to welding a set up out your tubing.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I made starting rollers out of scrap that I had lying around. I think the frame was 2"X1" and the rollers were bits of ~4" thickwall tube. The rollers were made from tube with something welded in the ends to take old ball races. I then put a length of whatever fitted the bearings through the rollers and across the frame, and ubolted them to the frame. Only real fault was lack of guards over the ends of the rollers. If I allowed the rollers to spin fast then dumped the bike clutch I could spit my bropthers 1300e off the rollers[ and do the sidewall of the driving tyre]

Reply to
richard