Serial to Parallel converter

So don't run QBASIC (or any other MS-DOS program). The free trial version of 'BBC BASIC for Windows' is easily powerful enough to do this with no danger of data loss, and without faffing around with Interrupt Service Routines and the like:
http://www.bb4w.com /
Richard. http://www.rtrussell.co.uk /

Not read all the thread, but I bring in data from our Mills and Lathes via RS232 using a computer with the Heidenhain free programme, TNCreoNT. Seems easy to me, download data, save file, open with WordPad, print !! Maybe I should read the whole thread !!! Bob
"Emimec" wrote in message

Thanks Bob but the file is hex encoded PCL1 data so cannot just be printed unless it goes to a printer that understands PCL1
AWEM
On 09/27/12 08:40, Andrew Mawson wrote:

It beats me why this is proving to be so so difficult. There's a very good terminal emulator program (Tera Term) for windows that has a binary logging facility. You can also select xon/xoff, hardware or no flow control. If you simply log the output to a file, then use the 'convert' utility from the ImageMagik package, you should be able to have something working within an hour.
Both the above packages are well proven and free:
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
For pcl conversions, imagemagick may also need this:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/ghostpcl.html
Regards,
Chris
"ChrisQ" wrote in message

It's proving difficult because I'm looking for a simple hardware solution. A serial to parallel converter!!! Most respondants, including you ChrisQ are suggesting a software solution, but that's not what I seek. So far I have sourced two supposedly serial to parallel converters. Both have proved in fact to be parallel to serial, the third is a yet to be found - do you have it?
AWEM
On 09/27/12 19:42, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Looks like you have fixed the faults in any case, but if you want to get any job done, use all available tools, is the way I always approach such things. After all, the objective is to get the job done, but am just as bad myself, getting sidetracked to get a job done a preferred way :-).
If you haven't found one already, there was a simple design from years ago that used one of the old general instrument AY5-1013 standalone uart chips. Can't remember how much external logic was required, but probably only a baud rate generator and rs232 level conversion. The original idea cam from a GI app note and a google search should find it. No micros or programming, just the chip and a bit of added hardware...
Regards,
Chris
"ChrisQ" wrote in message

Solved the logic analyser printing problem by getting a genuine serial to parallel converter from RS. (Silly money but this is a diversion off a project, not an aim in itself). Got the Micon 850 up and talking to me, now I'm fault finding on the tape subsystem. It uses a 250B data cassette deck by Memtec, illustrated on the bottom of this web page:
http://memteccorp.com/products/products.htm
Apparently used on Patriot missiles as well as my ancient Micon 850 controller ! So far found one interface line (FLUX 0) where both the driver in the rack and the receiver in the deck were kaput, but more lurks to be found as it still isn't writing.
AWEM