HP Thinkjet or Quietjet???

Anyone got an HP Thinkjet or Quietjet lurking gathering dust that they'd like to convert to beer tokens? I want to print from an old piece of lab
equipment (HP1651A logic analyser) and those are the only printers it seems to be able to cope with in graphics mode via its RS232 port.
TIA AWEM

Do you know what language it speaks? If it's something like HPGL then some laserjets used to understand this. Otherwise, hook it to a PC using something like Hyperterminal, capture the output and see what it looks like. I'll bet you can find some web app. which will import and understand it.
Drop me an e-mail to paul_d_smith <at> hotmail <dot> com with a file it you like. Many years ago (20+!) I used to do this sort of thing all the time because I had access to laser printers but no plotters.
Paul DS.
On 12/09/2012 08:42, Paul D Smith wrote:

There is a program out there[1] that does exactly that... captures and renders HPGL on a PC and then lets you do what you like with it.
However, I have used a thinkjet in the past on a HP OS 10 workstation (on GPIB rather than RS232), and it was more your traditional inkjet line printer (IIRC it needed specially absorbant printer paper which was great for blotting spilt coffee etc!). Hence its quite possible that thinkjets used either a proprietary language interface, or an early version of PCL. If the latter, there should be plenty of things about that will print it.
[1] http://www.aphena.com/pltgeist/pltgeist.htm
--
Cheers,

John.

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Thanks for that John, but they are asking 300 !!!!
AWEM
..snip...

How about this - a filter which will accept HPGL and render it in Word documents? You'll still need to capture them first, but that should be relatively simple.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196506
I used the old version of this to import plots into my D.Phil thesis.
Paul DS.

Or maybe this, but I don't see if/how you can then print.
http://hpglviewer.com /
Paul DS.
On 12/09/2012 12:29, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Sorry had not spotted that. However there are also free equivalents about - I was really just using it to illustrate the concept. (This might of course all be irrelevant if it does not speak HPGL). I certainly had some software in the past that converted HPGL to Postscript.
--
Cheers,

John.

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Googling seems to imply it speaks in "PCL1" or "PCL1+" - file capture under Hyperterm isn't goinmg too well as Hyperterm expects the other end to use XModem , YModem, Kermit etc which of course isn't the case - grabbibg it as a text file produces garbage.
Regards, Andrew
...snip...

You only use XModem, YModem, Kermit etc to exchange files with another endpoint which supports them. In ye older days, one cnnected to the far end, enabled the (say) XModem server program and then started the XModem client at your end.
However two terminals can just exchange "typed" characters to their heart's content - and Hyperterminal has a "and capture as typed to a file" feature, which is what I was intending the OP to use.
I have to admit to never having tried this using binary format files (is PCL binary or text?) but fundamentally it should work.
Paul DS

PCL is binary. I don't know how well this will work, but you can also try from a DOS prompt:
Copy COM1: somefile.pcl
Maybe set up the port in Hyperterminal first to get the baud rate right. Do you know what the serial settings are (7/8 bits, parity, etc)? It might be something peculiar.
Theo
Theo Markettos wrote:

If you're going to use 'DOS' to capture the stream, might was well use it to configure the port too ...
MODE COM1: baud200 parity=n data=8
use mode /? for full details.
"Theo Markettos" wrote in message wrote:

Yes parameters easily set within the instrument - (defaults xon/xoff 8 bit no parity 1 stop 9600 baud)
AWEM
On 09/12/12 18:19, Andrew Mawson wrote:

If you want to go the file convert route, Imagemagik package should do that and it's free. Will convert dozens of different formats to another...
Regards,
Chris
On 09/12/12 18:19, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Don't know if you finally fixed it, but if not, a couple of things which may help. Ime, the most likely things to fail are the ram chips, cpu and eproms losing their charge and marginal 0/1 when warmed up. The first two are easy to fix. The eproms can often be coaxed into giving the correct data by running at the vcc margins (4.75 / 5.25v), or outside, while copying in a programmer. Have had quite a few bits of old test gear with that fault and was able to recover the data using that method...
Regards,
Chris
"ChrisQ" wrote in message

Well I'm making progress! I found (thanks to my HP Logic Analyser) a 74LS163 that was counting when it was supposed to be inhibited - changing that has at least got characters displayed on the screen, but they are random. As far as I can detect the CPU isn't writing to the VDU static ram so I'm tracing through the code following it's start up process. Fortunately I can capture the read and write cycles from the 8085 CPU and thus see what code it is reading from the rom and follow it's progress. Waiting for a 40 pin ic test clip to arrive (hopefully tomorrow) to more easily follow all 8 data and 16 address bits - it does seem to be reading sensible data from the ROM board. What makes progress slow is the lack of any circuit diagrams - so far I have belled out the circuit of the CPU card, Video Card, Video timing card, and the far from simple backboard - only six more pcbs to bell out and I'll have all the circuits. The pcbs range from about 25 to 50 ic's each!
AWEM
On 09/18/12 20:33, Andrew Mawson wrote:

That's good - there are times when only a la will get the job done, but admit i've always baulked at the idea of tracing out schematics on multi device pcbs.
Another thing that sometimes works is to burn in the boards in an oven at 70C, (no more) as this will drive out any damp in the circuits. In the case of test gear with mos circuits, leave the thing powered up for a few days, which probably achieves the same effect. I have a 54112D scope that had been left out in a shed for a couple of years. 3 channels worked, one intermittent and noisy. Powered up for a week continuous and it's been fine ever since. It did only cost 40.00 ukp on fleabay and was well worth the effort.
Let me know if there's anything else I can help with...
Regards,
Chris
On 12/09/2012 14:41, Andrew Mawson wrote:

When you say garbage, are you sure that is not just because that is what a binary file looks like when rendered as text?
It would suggest pretty much any laser printer would understand the output as well then (since most will do at least PCL5 which I am assuming is a superset).
Hyperterm is probably not the best tool for capturing binary though.
--
Cheers,

John.

on 11/09/2012, Andrew Mawson supposed :

They often come up on the local freegle /freecycle recycling systems.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Another option, but $97.00
http://www.printcapture.com/index.html
Paul DS.
"Paul D Smith" wrote in message

Yep - been talking to them today! Wanted assurance I could run it on several pcs with one one licence (which I can if only one used at a time!)
Still would prefer a stand alone printer
AWEM