HP Thinkjet or Quietjet???

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 22:49:43 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

The Thinkjet doesn't use PCL as such, PCL was a development of the Thinkjet's control language.
Lovely printers and we did end up using the high quality, thick, absorbent paper in India after we ran out of bog paper :-)
The Deskjet (no numbers, just Deskjet) was the official start of PCL IIRC.
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl04568
Apparently it goes back to dot matrix.

--
Ineptocracy

On 09/11/12 21:49, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Andrew,
Have a stack of thinkjets, but not sure of the state, as well as other hp graphics capable thermal printers, also with hpib interface. Not sure if the 1651A has an hpib interface, but can check the catalog. Most of them did. I use a ancient 9876A thermal, fanfold paper model with my HP16500B via it's hpib port, but it does have a serial port as well, which can talk to a laserjet.
Can pick up the thinkjets next time i'm at the store, probably early next week, if that's any help. Do have one ink cartridge, but not sure of state either...
Regards,
Chris
"ChrisQ" wrote in message

Chris that is excellent news - though I need the variant that has the RS232 interface. I think that's the 2225D model.
Where are you based - I'm in East Sussex
AWEM
On 09/13/12 10:22, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Andrew,
I think all the ones I have are either parallel, or hpib, but did check the spec for the 1651A and it should have an hpib port on the back panel. There should be an option in the menus to select which port to use for the printer. Then all you need is an hpib / IEEE cable, which you should be able to find on fleabay for 5 ukp or so.
Am off to the store this afternoon and will bring back the printers to see what state they are in. The print head ribbon cable is the usual problem, at the point where it contacts the ink cartridge. They contact points are gold pated, as are the ink cartridges, but they corrode over the years, especially if not used for a long time. I find inkjets more trouble than they are worth in general, which is why i'm using a thermal hpib model. Paper is expensive for the thermal models, but you can still find it and don't use much of it anyway. Can bring a thermal model back if it's of interest and you can use fax roll paper, though it won't have the form feed / top of page cutout detect. The nice thing about hpib printers is that they work out of the box with most hp test gear.
Phone here is: Oxford zero one eight six five seven five zero six eight one, if you want to take this offline...
Regards,
Chris
On 13/09/2012 11:22, Andrew Mawson wrote:

You might find a converter like:
http://www.printcapture.com/files/GPIB-232CV-A_Data_Sheet.pdf
would fix that...

--
Cheers,

John.

On 13/09/2012 16:20, John Rumm wrote:

Then again, I just looked at the price of some of the converters... the right printer would be cheaper ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

If you really must do GPIB, ISA bus cards are cheap. You just need to find an old PC to put them in. I'm surprised there isn't a cheap microcontroller solution though - GPIB is just a slightly more complicated parallel port.
Theo
"Theo Markettos" wrote in message wrote:

No I need a SERIAL connected printer - the instrument only has a SERIAL interface
AWEM
On 13/09/2012 20:27, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I think the suggestion was serial into an old PC, and GPIB out, just using the PC as a standards converter (even if a bit bulky!)
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

FFS if you are going that route. use your main PC equipped with a serial board and drive any damed printer you want any way you can.
--
Ineptocracy