HP 11C

For many years I have been using an HP 11C scientific calculator. Although it still functions well, I would like to have some back up option. Unfortunately HP only offers RPN on its more expensive models.

Is anyone here aware of cheaper RPN calculators, or even better if it exists a Chinese 11C clone? I don't need any programming functionality.

Any suggestions are welcome, Timo

Reply to
Timo de Beer

click on "More options" then "View thread".

(The next three links are supposed to point to the lowest end HP that still does RPN, the 33s)
**.node1%7D/product/3833387;=jsessionid=3DlAQtUNfWyBUSLSXUAQtTpQ**.node1?site=3Dsr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
HP's "10s" is really cheap, but does not do RPN.

What I dislike about calculators, is you cannot record the actual keystrokes it took to obtain your solution. In a spreadsheet, that is all recorded. Maybe some of the shareware simulators will also allo for a documentation trail.

The HP 33s is low end (well about half of what I paid for my first calculator) and still available. I did not find any reasonable hits with Google, looking for clones.

Sorry.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

hmm? RPN? no clue about that but.. Is the windows scientific calculator not enough?

Type calc in your run box and select |view| scientific. Is that not enough, or is it that you can't use it near your computer?

Reply to
Spaceman

">

There are instances when it is handy to use a loose calculator:

- when you don't have your computer at hand (which happpens to me quite often)

- when your keyboard is covered with drawings

- when you don't want to clutter your screen with additional windows

- because for simple calculations it is easier to use a calculator then a computer

With things like this it is easy: if you never felt the need to have a loose calculator around than you must be one of those guys that can live happily without them.

Timo

Reply to
Timo de Beer

Aparently the older the more appreciated

My main problem with the 33s is its hideous design: not only does it look stupid, but they managed to put the buttons (specially the enter button) in the wrong place

Timo

Reply to
Timo de Beer

>... click on "More options" then "View thread".

Well, though I have used my Zenith Z-180 IBM-PC clone (with only two floppy drives) for actual work in the last 5 years, I would not want to have to "dance on the head of pin" very often.

Then you get stuck with financial calculators. Apparently the people that pay the product designers get preference, and not f*cked with.

Good luck.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

No I do always have the loose calculator around, simply because I am not that great with math in my head either. but I was just wondering if the windows calc is the type you are looking for? In other words, does that do that (rp )whatever you were asking about? :)

Reply to
Spaceman

oops, I did not mean to infer you were not good with math in your head. I was only talking about me. sorry if that came out wrong. :)

Reply to
Spaceman

HP recently came out with an HP35s to celebrate the anniversary of the original HP35. It's around $50 at amazon.com. It has a Classic calculator look, decent keyboard layout, and a little memory for programming.

- Still looking for a 15c replacement after all these years...

Reply to
Tommy Bevins

Dear Spaceman:

No, it doesn't. It only does math like we would algebraically write it out, and then with limitations.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Ahh, Ok, I see the difference. Thanks. :)

Reply to
Spaceman

I didn't see this one before. I must admit it looks much better than the 33 from the picture. In fact I used to have something like this before the 11C. I don't remember the type number of it, but it may have been that 35. Unfortunately the LEDs really used energy, and the battery pack completely gave up after about 5 years. But that shat should have been solved by now.

Probably will try it. Timo

Reply to
Timo de Beer

About RPN and computers, there are windows calculators available that I could use, but as explained I like to have a calculator around as well. To be frank my ability to do calculations by head has declined somewhat since I left high school and started to use calculators, good to hear I am not the only one.

About the superiority of RPN over Algebraic notation: this is typically a point of debate between the believers. I am not sure that it makes that much of a difference. However once you are used to one it is cumbersome to switch over.

Timo

Reply to
Timo de Beer