Slightly broke a Chinese digital verynear

I've got three Chinese verynears. Two are from Lidl and have given good service over several years and the new one is from Netto hand hasn't seen much use yet. The new one has the annoying habit of turning the display on if it's moved, so it spends most of its time in its box with the brake on.

The other two get used quite a lot for rough measurements, checking screw sizes etc. One of them had a fight with the concrete floor last year and lost its depth measuring probe. That didn't cause any problems, since the other one could be used for the odd occasion when I needed rough depth measurements.

Today I found another way to break them.

I'd had a lathe gearbox on the bench for a week, resulting in a spreading layer of ATF on the bench. Not because the gearbox was leaking as such. just because it was full and tipped over a few degrees away from horizontal, so the ATF was weeping out of the oil filler.

The affected verynear ended up face down in the shallow layer of ATF. It appears that the buttons are moulded from silicone rubber with a conductive bar inside them to make contact with the terminals on the PCB. The silicone rubber on one of the buttons has laid in the ATF long enough to swell to the point that it won't release when pressed in.

I tried soaking it in ether to displace the oil and shrink it back to its original size after drying, but unfortunately, the rubber has started falling apart. The verynear currently works quite well with two buttons. You just have to poke a bit of wire into the hole to turn it off. I might get enthusiastic enough to make a replacement one day, but I suspect that it'll eventually get used as spares for the other one or just thrown away :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Klumsey Barstich.............

John S.

Reply to
John S

The buttons on a couple of mine (real Mitutoyo, but fairly old) suddenly and mysteriously reduced in height so that they're just about flush with the 'panel', you need to push them with your fingernail now, they're the surface type rather than the 'top & bottom' style. I eventually realised it must have been moice eating them, I did have other evidence of mice in the shop for a while though I never saw them. It was only blue/green buttons which were affected.

I've found that testing them against the concrete floor bends or burrs the tips of the jaws so they won't close properly, some delicate remedial attention with a diamond file or oilstone is needed. TimL

Reply to
duttondock

From what I have read elsewhere, turning "Off" does little to reduce battery consumption, so I would not bother!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

I love the 'faux-net-ik' spelling of "Vernier"

BTW, Maplins have these at £9.99 at the moment.

MH

Reply to
max

Yabbut that's 66% more than these ones cost me. I'm not made of money you know ;-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On or around Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:56:54 +0100, Richard Edwards enlightened us thusly:

Well, the battery on mine went flat when not in use, so that could well be true. I think that you'd want to remove the battery to preserve its function.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As I understand it switching off merely turns off the display. The rest is still functioning which is how it knows where it is before you 'switch on'. I'll bet this is a topic that Nick can shine a light on.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

That's true. If you turn it off, move the calliper and turn it on again, the display indicates the new setting, which proves that only the display was turned off and not the measurement process. The display requires very little power (vis. a digital watch) compared to the measurement process. My Mitutoyo is different; turning it off resets the measurement to zero.

Reply to
lemelman

Depends which verynear you have.

I have an old Mitutoyo that loses position when you switch it off and move the scale, and it very definitely drains batteries faster if you leave it on. The more recent ones I have (cheap Chinese ones) don't lose position when you switch "off", so basically the guts of the thing is "on" all the time and all you are saving is the current needed to drive the display. With these, you see very little difference in battery life as a result.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I used to have one of those old Mitutoyos, probably still around somewhere but the display became very faint. Got a couple of slightly newer ones which don't lose the zero, sometimes I forget to switch them off & it really doesn't seem to make a big difference to battery life. Also the cells on those Mitutoyos do seem to last quite a bit longer than on the 'budget' verynears. I have a Mitutoyo digital mike which has no 'off' switch, the cell in that lasts about a year. I believe later versions have 'auto-off' and last a bit longer, mine doesn't.

Tim

Reply to
duttondock

Hi.

I got fed up with my cheap (=A36 special from Aldi, as I recall, but quite good) unit getting through batteries as if they were going out of fashion even though I switched it off regularly, so I took it apart and added a switch directly in series with the battery, so I turn it off 'properly' when I'm not using it. Maplins do some excellent very small switches that fitted fully within the small body of the battery compartment.

Youra.

Reply to
Youra

Mark -

Is there a comma missing after "broke" in the title of this thread?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Jura- clever one. Vernier is from Ornans on the Loue in the Doubs. Not far from the Dole. Well, he's not made of money.

Tony, you are slipping- mon vieux.

ravensworth2674

Some of the recent Mitutoyos have absolute measurement, they work out the length from the information encoded in the scale, not by measuring movement.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Smart idea. Some pictures and the switch ref would be nice.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

One of mine, probably past its 'best before' date, has a problem with the battery contacts and when it restarts it always reads something like '227.6' mm (not the actual figure). Why??

Tim

Reply to
duttondock

Mark Rand heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :

Had a similar experience with somesort of cleaner spilt over it. After a while readings went irratic on parts of the scale. It appeared the stuff had crept under the tape and corroded the copper "islands". The tape was removed, copper cleaned and performance restored.

Reply to
Dirk