Slightly O.T. Soldering silver jewellery

SWMBO has asked me to attach a ring to the back of a silver broche so that she can wear it as a pendant. The item in question is a flat oval silver mount containing abalone shell. I can't see how to remove the abalone (I guess it's glued in place), so I can't risk usng a lot of heat. Does anyone in the group know of a suitable solder for the job? In particular, can I use a silver-loaded soft solder (surface- mount solder), or is there a special jewellers solder for the job?

TIA

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1

mattathayde had written this in response to

:

------------------------------------- mikecb1 wrote:

you cant really do it, the stone is way to soft and more than likely any heat on it will destroy the stone (turn it nasty and gray), it is only a mohs of 3 so even removing it will be very dangerous, if it is of any quality it is bezel set (basically a band of silver/copper/other soft metal, is made around the shape of the stone and then the stone is placed in it and the band is pushed over smoothly to hold it in cold, to remove it you have to drill a hole in the back and push it out but with it being so soft you will probably shatter it).

if you really want to try still i would get a piece of abalone to double check and see how ti deals with heat. honestly if you have never done proper jewelry soldering (really brazing) then dont even think of trying it the first time on some ones jewelry, even great it is very different than other things and takes a good amount of practice, plus you MUST flux the entire surface if it is sterling silver (or any other alloy) and then you really should soak the piece in pickle (all of those things will also probably damage that stone). then you will have to re polish the piece just due to the way silver reacts to heat.

you best bet is going to be getting a good clean epoxy and probably gluing it on or figuring out a cold connection of some sort.

-matt

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - uk.rec.models.engineering - 11807 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
mattathayde

------------------------------------- mikecb1 wrote:

[...]

Thanks Matt

Suitably warned off, I will resort to Araldite.

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1

Why make an easy job hard? Glue it in place. No damaging heat, no pickling, no polishing, and entirely reversible if she changes her mind.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Cliff,

Yes, that's the way I'll go (see earlier reply)

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1