Slightly OT : Steam trains

On some Steam trains, there are two big vertical metal plates at the front, one either side of the box at the base of the funnel.

What are they for, please?

Thanks Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Smoke deflectors.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Smoke deflectors. They channelled air up past the stack/chimney, which lifted the smoke above the locomotive.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

On the (OT) subject of steam trains (=locomotives) , can NE1 explain the function of the wooden indicator boards fitted to the front of steam locomotives under test? I assumed that they were all to similar dimensions so eliminating comparative drag factors in the efficiency calculations but this would ignore the large and variable area of smoke box, chimney etc which protrouded above the boards.

Reply to
IFC

In message , IFC writes

Nothing to do with drag. It was a protective housing for an engine indicator and, I think, someone to operate it.

An indicator is a mechanical device which produces graphs of cylinder pressure against piston position. The resulting 'indicator diagrams' can be used to measure performance and evaluate valve gear and breathing.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Thanks for that posting, I appreciate the information.

Reply to
IFC