Slip Roll Aluminium Bending Query

I'm part way through a jig design and realised that I don't know whether what I want to do is possible, so I'd be grateful if anyone with reasonable experience of slip rolls/bending rolls can answer it for me.

I need to make an auminium sleeve in 2 halves to fit around a pipe. The OD of the pipe is 336mm, and the wall thickness for the aluminium sleeve is 3mm. There would a simple overlap type joint where the sleeve halves mate up. Total length of the sleeve on the cylindrical axis is about 150-155mm.

Is it possible to bend 3mm thick aluminium at this sort of size, is there a particular grade of sheet material that may be suitable, and can this be acheived on model engineer size equipment, or is it a more industrial job?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Should be trivial on any set of rolls that can handle 1.25mm steel. It should be within the remit of a 12" or shorter set of 1 1/4" or thereabouts rolls.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mark, thanks for that info.

Most of the the smaller slip rollers available only have a spec to 1mm steel, although Warco have a combined machine with 38mm rolls/300mm, long but still only rated at 1mm. I might give them a call and see if they wouldn't mind running a test on 3mm aluminium for me.

I don't really do much sheet metal work (well none at all really..) but the price of these are cheap enough to add to the job if they work.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill