small (tabletop) rigid lathe

Hi,

I'm looking for a small, about Myford7 size, but extremely rigid lathe. As rigid as possible, it's for accurate work on hard and hard-to-machine materials.

Any suggestions? Budget is, as always, a concern, so nothing in the many thousands range.

Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

The Boxford is about ML-7 size - similar centre height and distance between centers, similar footprint. It is reputed to be more rigid than the Myford.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I have a very curious looking machine, Murad. See this link

be of use to you, dont want a fortune for it. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

well if peter dont want it

give me a chance after .

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

Odd thing- this Murad Bormilathe thing. One went to Antarctica and the Norwegian tug 'Norsel' took the 'first' party out in 1949.

Whilst the RAF part were in the UK, they were based at RAF Hendon. Not only was I at Hendon but I was very involved with the Flight of two Austers which were based there as 'orphans'

I was recently offered a Jaguar from a later date but found that it had wings on. I think that a Bormilathe could go to Cosford to join the two Antarctic Austers there in the Museum- after I am gone- of course.

Well?

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Table top as is must set on a table or can it be integrated into th

table.

Do you need thread turning ability? Doing long stock. And what is yo definition of hard to machine materials

-- macon

----------------------------------------------------------------------- macona's Profile:

this thread:

macona

Its now on Ebay Bob

Reply to
Emimec

You are requesting a specification that has one specification excluding the other.

Small and rigid can be got, just not cheap.

Unless you know where to get a nice Schaublin 102 for near free.

Hembrug (spelling?) made a couple smallish lathes that were designed for "hardturning" which is supposedly the industry term for accurately turning hardened materials to size , often with diamond tipped tooling, at high RPM's.

How hard? How big? How fast does it have to be able to work?

You might want to explore other methods, such as toolpost grinding.

Without pounding a massive hole in a bank account, I doubt that you are going to find a much more rigid lathe in the size range of the Myford.

You can, however do much better for the same money if you are willing to deal with a far larger and heavier machine.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones