Soft Centres supplier ?

Hi,
Does anyone know where in the UK I can get an MT3 soft centre for my Boxford ?
Thanks,

--
Boo

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:23:09 +0000, Boo

Soft centres seem to have completely gone out of fashion. When you talk about live centres these days, people think you mean rotating centres:-(
I've taken to turning my own from blank arbours...
Mark Rand RTFM

What is a "soft centre", please?
AND
How does a live centre differ from a rotating centre?
TIA
Brian

my
talk
Soft centre is placed in spindle taper and turned in situ to 60 degrees and thus is dead nuts concentric with the spindle. A rotating centre (normally equipped with a sealed thrust & radial race set) would usually be used in the tailstock in place of a hard centre, thus reducing the likelyhood of overheating from lack of lubrication.
AWEM
Strawberry Creme or Orange Fondue. Left when the edible choc's are gone. Even our grandchildren are wise to them - yech.
John
--
JC Morrice
snipped-for-privacy@pentode.demon.co.uk

I've been looking at 3MT centres for my newly acquired lathe, it seems that all the ones in the usual suppliers' lists are hardened. I think your best bet would be to buy a 3MT blank arbour and turn a 60 deg point on it yourself (or of course make your own blank).
David
--
David Littlewood

I'll have a scratch about, I think I've probably got a spare or two in a box of odds. Won't be wonderful, but if you're going to tickle it up, that won't matter. Let you know when I've had a look later in the week. Richard
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 18:05:22 +0000, David Littlewood

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 18:05:22 +0000, David Littlewood

What about buying an el cheapo hardened centre and annealing the end?
Tim
Thanks to all who replied, blank arbours look like the easiest bet for me, especially since I have one lying around somewhere.
--
Boo