Spindle Speeds - C6B Lathe

I'm adding additional speed ranges to my C6B, primarily at the bottom end eg 40-400rpm. Similarly nudging the top speed up from 2000rpm. 3500rpm looks like a good theoretical target, but back on planet earth with a 125mm chinese chuck on the spindle, what is a practical upper limit likely to be?

Is pulley/spindle/chuck balancing a task that can be done at "home"?

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve,

2K sounds fast enough for me, 2,500 max Why do you need to go above this ?

I have modified my C6B to two step poly vee, I'll check later what the speeds are in the two ranges given your 10% envelope.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

The purpose of modding the C6B was to get some grunt at the bottom end - so no real requirement to go above 2000rpm, just wanting to get best benefit from the mod, while I'm picking pulley sizes.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Where can I source Poly V belts from? Google tends to point at manufacturers sites in China or India.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I just order them from the bearing people at the bottom of the road.

Checked up on the original pulley sizes and they are 65 to 135 which is 2.077:1 given top speed is 2,000 then the motor is doing 2,000 x

2.077 so to all intents it's a 4,000 rpm motor.

The two step arrangement I have done is 60 driving 114 giving 1.9:1 next step is 34 driving 135 giving 3.97:1

So top range will be a motor low of 400 ? up to a high of 4,000 using the 10% rule divided by 1.9 So 210 rpm to 2100 rpm

Bottom range works the same but divided by 3.97, So 100 rpm to 1,000 rpm.

That seemed OK to me.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Sounds pretty good to me. I seem to mastering the art of massively overengineering! Good job its not my living.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

i have just been looking at the C6B on the axminster site, seems like

nice machine, if sir john has one than its gotta be a good un!, i debating to myself about the difference between the C6B and the cheste DB8, seem to be the same lathe and around the same price too, but wh would sir john opt to buy the axminster? hmmmm? he knows a good machin and wouldnt waste his time or money on rubbish, whats your thought john?

bill hsm forum:-billybo

-- blueswar

----------------------------------------------------------------------- blueswarf's Profile:

this thread:

blueswarf

The C6 is the same as the "Chester Comet" without the milling attachment. The C6 and DB8 are not the same machine. I bought the C6B primarily for the variable speed drive and the machine is basic in functionality but not in quality. I bought my C6B from ArcEurotrade and they've been great. I've also bought from Axminster and I rate these two better than Warco or Chester in terms of service.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Bill, Didn't buy off Axminster and wouldn't piss on these Herbert's if they were on fire because of past dealings.

I wanted a lathe that was solid and heavy to convert to do a job. This lathe is twice as heavy as the offerings by Warco and Chester. Mass is good in machine tools.

To be honest I was expecting a machine with rough edges etc for the money but I was quite surprised on the fit and finish of the various parts.

If you are interested in one give Ketan a ring at Arc Euro and I think he'll do you a good deal.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

nice one john, im going to have to downsize this harrison L5A for

smaller lathe as im after a surface grinder too, i need the space. can you send me your snail mail add as ive got some goodies fo you,(***freebie*** small size reamers,,new).

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co

-- blueswar

this thread:

blueswarf

I guess Axminster must have done real bad boss?

The Siag X1 is £219 including VAT and P&P just now shipping immediately as a price check and I've found them really helpful - what is it they screw up on?

Steve

Reply to
Steve