Adding an additional component to an assembly

Quite often I need to add an additional component to an assembly that is already in the assembly. It seems like I should be able to drag from the FeatureManager (can't do). All of the methods suggested in "help" seem awfully tedious.

Is there an easier way to add an additional existing component to an assembly?

Reply to
dlevy

hold down the control key and drag from the feature tree to the graphical area.

Reply to
Brian

alternately, if you have lots of files you need to add to an assembly, its often times easier to open an explorer window, browse to the appropriate folder, and drag from that folder to the graphics window of SW to add components. Lots faster than browsing for each individual file from within SW.

Reply to
Brian

CTRL-Drag also works to copy the part selected in the Assembly viewport, so you don't have to first find it in the Feature Manager...

Per O. Hoel

Reply to
POH

Doh! Thanks!

Reply to
dlevy

Here is a whizzy little tidbit.

I control drag a part in the graphic window to get a second part in this case a round shaft then I let go and press and hold 'alt' and select and hold the end of the round shaft (the edge not the face), now when I move the mouse to a hole feature it automatically mates it! If it is facing the wrong way hit tab (all while holding the other keys, it is not as hard as it sounds) This works with edges, points, circles.... I guess it is a quick shortcut to a impromptu mate reference.

Ben

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Ben Eadie

This is a function of Smart Mates.

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

Ben-

Nice Tip - I needed a mental jog to remind me of this - I havn't used it much due to pure laziness (to my own demise).

Now I need to work my way out of that functional fixation pit I have dug for myself. Your tip is so much better than my current way.

Thanks -

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams