Stripping silver plating

Hi
I will be silver soldering on some silver plated parts and have no idea how the plating will look after heating. If the silver plating
looks ugly after the silver soldering can it be stripped off using an non life threatening chemical ???
Thanks Tim
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:45:16 -0800 (PST), "Tim Nash (aka TMN)"

You'll be very lucky indeed if the plating isn't affected by the silver soldering - though a careful hand and a low melting point solder will help matters considerably. A lot depends on the job itself - how small/large it is.
Regards,
--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenetgmx.net

They are about 1 inch diameter, 1/2 inch wide and 3/32 thick so it is going to take some heat - is there anything I can coat the rings with to prevent oxidation ?
Tim
Tim Nash (aka TMN) wrote:

Depends - you don't need to use cyanide, but for chemical stripping you pretty much do need to use acid, usually nitric, sometimes with sulphuric acid added. About the minimum you can get away with is 20% nitric acid. That's not life-threatening to me, but it might be to you.
As it's only small stuff, if you want you can post it to me and I'll strip it for you, no charge. Please include return stamps though.
It is possible to do an electrochemical strip using slightly [1] less aggrssive chemicals, but can I ask why, and what you expect? Silver often plated over copper, it might turn copper-coloured.
If you intend to replate then just send it to the platers, they'll strip it in a jiffy.
[1] one of the functions of cyanide in a plating bath is to dissolve the silver electrodes, so don't go hoping for too much here - aggressive chemistry is still needed!

I don't know about oxidation, but Tippex, as I have mentioned before, is good to prevent the flux or solder from wetting parts you don't want wetted. And once heated to brazing temperature, it's quite easy to remove, it just brushes off
(Actually it's quite easy to remove anyway -- ??)
-- Peter Fairbrother
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:38:59 -0800 (PST), "Tim Nash (aka TMN)"

The problem isn't so much oxidisation, it's the amount of heat required around the joint, it usually destroys the plate.
Depends how visible you're prepared to let the joint be.
Regards,
--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenetgmx.net

These are parts of an lamp I am making for my daughter - after taking what has been said into consideration I will do the silver soldering and then send it to the platers to dolly it up.
Peter - thanks for the very kind offer but I am in South Africa !!!
thanks Tim