Supplier of white metal

I need a small bit of white metal. Any model engineering suppliers in the UK do this? Other sources?

Thanks,

Philip

Reply to
philipl

depending on how much you want (and I'm assuming you are going to do some casting with it, since you don't specify a size)

Try a car boot sale - you could probably pick up a couple of kilos in various sizes for about a fiver - think dinky cars, usually about 5-10p each.

Make sure you check on ebay that they're not mega-rare ultra valuable ones before you melt them down tho.

Reply to
bigegg

Are we talking bearing material here?

If so then see if there is a engine reconditioner near by that does not mind passing on some shell bearings.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

One source I've used in the past is

navigate through to casting and you should find the meatls near the bottom of the page. I've not dealt with them for over 15 years but they were very helpfull then.

James

Reply to
JamesC

I wanted the white metal to repair a milling machine lead screw nut (bore out part of the thread and fill it up with white metal when it is on the lead screw). Today I found that William Lane

deals in this. I am waiting to find out whether they will supply the small quantity I need.

Philip

Reply to
philipl

For bearing metal you can't do better than Hoyt

usual no connection just happy customer stuff

Reply to
Roland Craven

I've read of a teflon-loaded epoxy resin called Moglice that's used to do this job (and it would probably be more succesful at casting in place than white metal) but I don't know where it can be found in the UK.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin