Taper identification

I'm trying to identify the taper used in my lathe head/tailstock. It's a Lorch-Schmidt lathe and I know (by trial) it is smaller than MT2 and bigger that MT1.

Half Angle of taper is (by trig) about 0.9 degrees. Small end 12.51mm, large end 13.53mm over a length of 35mm (along surface).

Any hints on where to look would be of interest (although identification may be academic if the only way to obtain more is to turn them myself)!

Alan Bain

Reply to
Alan Bain

If you know the model (or even, if not), I would have a look at

A _wounderful_ site with lots of info.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Most, if not all machine tool tapers are specified by taper per foot or inch.. If you care to recalculate, here might help:

Tom

Reply to
Tom

0.835 degrees to centreline, 1.67 degrees included angle. At 0.35" per foot that's an unusually shallow angle for a machine taper. They are usually between 0.6 and 1 inches per foot, 3 to 5 degrees included angle. No idea what spec it is I'm afraid.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker