Threading question

Blame the wife.

Reply to
Sandy Morton

On or around Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:57:02 +0000, Charles Ping enlightened us thusly:

I've got a dieholder which fits in a chuck, and I run that under power on M8 threads on mild steel, with a chuck in the tailstock. The student in low gear runs at about 30-summat, ISTR rpm. It needs watching and coolant/lube but it has a saftey feature that if you don't tighten the chuck too much it will only transmit so much torque, and so if it jams, it spins the holder in the chuck.

No doubt one day it'll all go bang and the die witll fall apart or something :-)

Hmmm. that reminds me, who sells LH metric dies? I need a new M8x1.25LH, as mine is more split than it's supposed to be. I may say that I didn't break it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin, I dont know about Dies, but I got LH M8 tap from Tracy tools very reasonably priced

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

need a new

'RDG Tools'

selling left hand taps and dies, not HSS though.

Reply to
Jazzman99

Left hand threading equipment also readily available from Tracy Tools. No connection other than a satisfied customer.

Reply to
1501