tips, lathe and action

well i have had my new[ish] lathe for a month or more and everything has been to big to turn in it, untill today. I wanted a selection of new tips for dial gauges, they seem to breed but they are lacking a bit, [girl gauges?] they are all missing the tips, I have one tip and various setups with gauges and have to keep swapping the tip around, bit of a git when it falls into the swarf... prattle, prattle.. This afternoon I made a load of new tips, well about 10 they are nearly all 4x48, can't imagine sutting a 48tpi thread on my cincinnati.. I am well impressed, it cut's such nice smooth threads.. and the ones that weren't 4x48, well it doesn't sound professional but i just cut a thread that retains them, spose i should look for metric change gears but as i was selling the cva to buy something larger it's probably not worth it.

I keep meaning to ask about the crossfeed screw, i belive i readsomeone chopped a myford leadscrew down as a new crossfeedscrew and made a tap, fancy tapping a nut block for me - i have my eye on a myford leadscrew;-)

-- richard

Reply to
richard

That was me. In the saying made famous by a US president, "I cannot tell a lie", I believe this was Clinton. What size block?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson