Topping Up Lathe Oil

Hi,

I need to top-up the oil for the gears in the headstock (used for the auto feed) in my Model-B Super. Is there anything wrong with using 10W-40 as I have that to hand at the moment?

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I doubt if it makes a scrap of difference what oil you use in a lathe that isn't being hammered 24/7 in an industrial environment. The gearbox is still going to outlast you by many years. Engine oil is all I tend to have to hand too and that's what goes in my Student if it needs any.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I have used it for the last 4 years with no ill affects. There is a massive improvement in oil quality since these lathes were built. My ML7b was the

Reply to
Salamanda

Reply to
Salamanda

It probably won't matter a whole lot as you won't be mising it 'a lot' in machine use terms, but theoretically you'd be a lot better off if you use some straight oil maybe SAE50 or some lighter gear oil say

75W.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:31:46 +0100, "Dave Baker" enlightened us thusly:

Students are "meant" to run on Shell Tellus of a grade I fail to recall but it's written on the filler plug. Might be 27. I've heard warnings against using too-thick oil in the student.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And heres me thinking Students ran on Beer....

igmc

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

On or around Fri, 24 Aug 2007 04:35:05 -0700, dave sanderson enlightened us thusly:

well, there is that. I think they're a different make of student though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles