Topping Up Lathe Oil

Hi,
I need to top-up the oil for the gears in the headstock (used for the auto feed) in my Model-B Super. Is there anything wrong with using 10W-40 as I
have that to hand at the moment?
Cheers,
Michael

I doubt if it makes a scrap of difference what oil you use in a lathe that isn't being hammered 24/7 in an industrial environment. The gearbox is still going to outlast you by many years. Engine oil is all I tend to have to hand too and that's what goes in my Student if it needs any.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines
Today I are mainly listening to....Corrine Bailey Rae

Students are "meant" to run on Shell Tellus of a grade I fail to recall but it's written on the filler plug. Might be 27. I've heard warnings against using too-thick oil in the student.
On Aug 24, 10:18 am, Austin Shackles

And heres me thinking Students ran on Beer....
igmc
Dave
On or around Fri, 24 Aug 2007 04:35:05 -0700, dave sanderson

well, there is that. I think they're a different make of student though.
I have used it for the last 4 years with no ill affects. There is a massive improvement in oil quality since these lathes were built. My ML7b was the 32nd built & is still going strong.

Sorry that should read Super7b.

It probably won't matter a whole lot as you won't be mising it 'a lot' in machine use terms, but theoretically you'd be a lot better off if you use some straight oil maybe SAE50 or some lighter gear oil say 75W.
Richard