Tube notching?

--Hey gang, I'm searching for a better method to cut saddles into various tubing diameters, to make good fit-ups for welding at various angles. I've seen things like the "joint jigger", etc but I'm hoping to do a better job with some alternate tackle. Has anyone modified their lathe to mill tubing? Ideally I'd find an article on how to build something that would fit the Myford lathe, but as I don't know the exact name of the thing I'm looking for I don't know how to search for it! --Any pointers appreciated,

Reply to
steamer

I've has some sucess using hole saws. But never with the normal supplied arbor! I make my own arbors with 3/4" shanks, closer fit threads and do the job on the bridgeport.

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Just thinking out loud so to speak, but why not mount a tube vice on th

crossslide and then a hole saw in the chuck. you can set the tube t center height and fedd in wit the saddle/cross slide to notch the end angles taken care of by rotating the vice. I think something alon those lines is how Id do it...

DAv

-- small.plane

----------------------------------------------------------------------- small.planes's Profile:

this thread:

small.planes

--Well yeah, that's what I had in mind. I'm just wondering if there's a nice design out there I could start with. Trouble with the Myford is the small distance from top of cross slide to centerline of chuck, which means a fairly odd looking vise would have to be used, yes?

Reply to
steamer

Why not use blocks of scrap, say 1" thickness, bolt to cross slide, an use hole saw to put tube sized hole into it. then drill/tap on the to for a clamp screw. This would put the tube on center automatically and making a new one for each size of tube wouldnt cost much.

Dav

-- small.plane

this thread:

small.planes