Ultrasonic Cleaner

Well colour me amazed...definitely didn't feel like SS when I looked at it earlier. Not a bad £15's worth!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Played with one tonight, it produces a very non-super sonic buzz, I'd guess around 300Hz, along with vizible standing waves in the water. Is this normal behaviour?

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

From the investigative surgery that has been undertaken, I would suspect that the buzzing is caused by the fact that the Oscillator runs from unfiltered rectified mains. It's going to be starting up 100 times a second.

A further conclusion is that the instructions calling for a 3 minute rest between each 3 minute operation period is because there is no ventilation to take the heat away from the nice heatsinks that the transistors are bolted to.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

If left plugged in, but not locally switched on to clean, it still keeps warm - so I suggest this device is unplugged (or otherwise remotely switched off) after use, rather than leaving it in 'standby'.

Reply to
Jim Crowther

... and by the time I'd tested it an hour later this poxy teranews server had gone down yet again as it does every two days or so. I'm beginning to think they turn it off regularly to try and get the light use customers to pay for one of the more comprehensive packages which they host on other servers.

Anyway, as everyone else has already said it appears to be the dog's danglies. Proper 40kHz ultrasound and it really does shift that dirt. Shame the container isn't just a bit bigger but for £15 it seems churlish to complain. Things I've tried it on.

Spectacles - yuck, must do that more often from now on. Did I really wear those?

My toothbrush.

Electric shaver head - not very good when the dirt is mainly loosely attached particles but I guess the grease and grime underneath got zapped

Hairbush and comb - chemically clean and degreased without boiling water - neat :)

A thoroughly manked up Bosch electronic fuel injector out of a Sierra Cosworth - took several cycles and could stand a couple more but even hard baked on carbon succumbed in the end. Very impressive.

The cap off the washing up liquid. Nowadays these seem to block up regularly with a sort of glue like jelly which won't dissolve very well even in boiling water. I'm forever trying to poke the stuff out. One cycle and it was completely gone.

-- Dave Baker

***
Reply to
Dave Baker

Clearly you haven't done the 'mean old men' course! The washing up liquid is far to concentrated. Dilute with 1 to 2 parts water and the nozzle doesn't block. More money to spend on 'toys' such as ultrasonic cleaners too!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

After all the good reports ( thanks all ) I will have to get one.

Can anybody tell me if there is an Aldi in mid surrey, G uildford area ?

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Can anybody tell me if there is an Aldi in mid surrey, G uildford area ?

-- Regards Jonathan

ALDI Camberley

46 - 48 London Road Camberley GU17 0AA

ALDI Feltham

76-86 High Street Feltham TW13 4DD

Mike ole

Reply to
Mike

I'll be rounding up some old sparkplugs tomorrow...

Certainly does a good job on the specs, but I have to report that the unit totally failed to clean my workshop tea-mug. It does fairly well on the outside, especially where the (remaining half of the) handle joins the cylindrical bit. Hardly touches the grot on the inside, so it's back to soaking overnight in a bowl of bleach once every blue moon, or so.

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

I just got someone to pick me one up in the Portsmouth branch.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

If it's anything like my workshop mug it'll need a hammer and chisel to clean the crud out.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Stephen et al, Might I suggest that you try:-

This should give all the supermarkets- and their 'specials' come up on a weekly basis.

If you give the Aldi entry your post code, it will give your nearest branch. Hope this helps.

Regards

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Stainless steel scouring pads from Tescos shift workshop mug grime in seconds.

-- Dave Baker

***
Reply to
Dave Baker

Try a "Sterident" tablet. Not sure where I learned this (I don't have false teeth) but I used it once on an old mug 1918 "Victory Mug" that was in need of restoring.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

I find a bit of wet & dry works wonders (about 800 grit -finer if it's not so dirty!)

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Got to my local Aldi today, but they didn't have any (no sign they ever had any actually). There seem to be quite a few on ebay at the moment though!!

They did have some interesting grinding wheels, about 8" diameter by

1.5" wide. Don't know what on earth they were doing in Aldi -a bit "industrial" for them.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I bet the £8.99 Aldi angle grinder would fix it in no time flat.

Next cuppa might taste of kipper pate though ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Don't know where you are, but there were at least two left at Buxton Aldi this evening (saturday).

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Doesn't that go off with Coke? Also, do _I_ have to tell that a Brit?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Did mine, with a teaspoonful of sodium bicarbonate inside, then filled with hot water, placed in bath, also filled with water.

My rusty, greasy and filthy collection of 'you name it' nuts and bolts came up a treat in a bath of 'Muc-Off'. 'Wonderwheels' might have done even better...

They've now been sprayed with Scottoil:

Wonderwheels:

Jim Crowther