Ultrasonic Cleaner

wrote:

out
Well I was down at Aldi West Drayton a few minutes after 9 and no one else seemed to be paying them much attention. There were only about 25 on the shelf although maybe more in the warehouse. I took four in the end. A mate wants one too and I'm sure they'll come in handy as presents. I'll report back on how they work. -- Dave Baker www.pumaracing.co.uk

... and by the time I'd tested it an hour later this poxy teranews server had gone down yet again as it does every two days or so. I'm beginning to think they turn it off regularly to try and get the light use customers to pay for one of the more comprehensive packages which they host on other servers.
Anyway, as everyone else has already said it appears to be the dog's danglies. Proper 40kHz ultrasound and it really does shift that dirt. Shame the container isn't just a bit bigger but for 15 it seems churlish to complain. Things I've tried it on.
Spectacles - yuck, must do that more often from now on. Did I really wear those?
My toothbrush.
Electric shaver head - not very good when the dirt is mainly loosely attached particles but I guess the grease and grime underneath got zapped
Hairbush and comb - chemically clean and degreased without boiling water - neat :)
A thoroughly manked up Bosch electronic fuel injector out of a Sierra Cosworth - took several cycles and could stand a couple more but even hard baked on carbon succumbed in the end. Very impressive.
The cap off the washing up liquid. Nowadays these seem to block up regularly with a sort of glue like jelly which won't dissolve very well even in boiling water. I'm forever trying to poke the stuff out. One cycle and it was completely gone. -- Dave Baker www.pumaracing.co.uk

Clearly you haven't done the 'mean old men' course! The washing up liquid is far to concentrated. Dilute with 1 to 2 parts water and the nozzle doesn't block. More money to spend on 'toys' such as ultrasonic cleaners too!
Henry
--
Remove the 'bait' from the 'trap' to catch the Dragon
Leave the trap.

I'll be rounding up some old sparkplugs tomorrow...

Certainly does a good job on the specs, but I have to report that the unit totally failed to clean my workshop tea-mug. It does fairly well on the outside, especially where the (remaining half of the) handle joins the cylindrical bit. Hardly touches the grot on the inside, so it's back to soaking overnight in a bowl of bleach once every blue moon, or so.
Regards,
David P.
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:49:23 +0000, David Powell

<snip>
If it's anything like my workshop mug it'll need a hammer and chisel to clean the crud out.
Regards,
www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Stainless steel scouring pads from Tescos shift workshop mug grime in seconds. -- Dave Baker www.pumaracing.co.uk

I find a bit of wet & dry works wonders (about 800 grit -finer if it's not so dirty!)
Regards Kevin
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:44:13 -0000, "Dave Baker" <Dave

I bet the 8.99 Aldi angle grinder would fix it in no time flat.
Next cuppa might taste of kipper pate though ;-)
Regards, Tony
> Certainly does a good job on the specs, but I have to report that the

Try a "Sterident" tablet. Not sure where I learned this (I don't have false teeth) but I used it once on an old mug 1918 "Victory Mug" that was in need of restoring.
Brian

Doesn't that go off with Coke? Also, do _I_ have to tell that a Brit?
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:06:04 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Mller) wrote:

Melfresh is what we used to use on the camping cups, I think you can still buy it.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:49:23, David Powell wrote:

Did mine, with a teaspoonful of sodium bicarbonate inside, then filled with hot water, placed in bath, also filled with water.
My rusty, greasy and filthy collection of 'you name it' nuts and bolts came up a treat in a bath of 'Muc-Off'. 'Wonderwheels' might have done even better...
They've now been sprayed with Scottoil: http://www.bikersuperstore.com/product.php?xProd68&xSecW
Wonderwheels: http://www.biketrade.co.uk/motorcycle-accessories/motrax_motorcycle_products/wonderwheels_super_cleaner.html
--
Jim Crowther. "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,

Got one this morning inPerborough, about 20 in stock. Just tried it on a couple of pairs of specs - I'm almost ashamed of the amount of crud that came off, very effective little gadget.
I bought it mainly for camera repairs, lens and shutter mechanisms tend to gum up over the years and sloshing in lighter fluid doesn't always work. Don't know what to use as a cleaning solvent though, warm soapy water doesn't seem right for this job

Glad to hear it works well. To use flammable liquids in the US, put the liquid and the dirty parts in a sealed jar and immerse that in soapy water in the tank. That way you avoid any fumes near the electrics.
Cliff.

I picked one up too - as already reported, plenty available, and it seems to do the business.
In the instructions they talk about cleaning solutions suitable for ultrasonic cleaners, or water with mild detergent. I suspect the important thing is breaking the surface tension rather than aggressive solvent action - bear in mind that mine looks like the main bowl is metallised plastic (not metal), so don't expect it to be resistant to organic solvents.
Regards, Tony

I have a PDF instruction manual for my Lucas-Branson U/S bath which has tips on how to get the best results and what solutions to use. A competely different unit I know, but if anybody wants a copy of the PDF e-mail me and I'll send it over.
Peter

Definitely metallised plastic (even though the instructions mention stainless steel).
Has anyone taken one apart yet to see how they work?
Mark Rand RTFM

Bad form to answer one's own post. But If I can't flame me, who can?
The tray is _not_ plastic, it's slightly magnetic stainless steel. I was distracted by the pressed in Max level line and label, which felt as if there were some sprue on them.
Inside, there appears to be a 555 timer, a low voltage supply for the switches, timer and LEDs, a 12V relay to turn on the power to the oscillator, its rectifier and the oscillator itself. The oscillator seems to be a driver transistor, a couple of BU 406 400V 7A switching transistors and a couple of transformers. there are a couple of chokes as well. Assorted capacitors and resistors to glue it all together. I didn't disassemble it as far as the transducer (should have) But it looks as if it is a Piezo electric one.
It definitely does seem to be the genuine article. I have two at the moment, but I think that I might pop back to Aldi tomorrow to see if they have any left.
Mark Rand RTFM
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:08:27, Mark Rand wrote:

Yep, definitely SS of some sort.

A couple of pictures (you inspired me! :) )
http://www.crowth.org.uk/odds/us1.jpg
http://www.crowth.org.uk/odds/us2.jpg
I'd happily use it outside and opened up with volatile solvents.
--
Jim Crowther. "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:08:27 +0000, Mark Rand

Well colour me amazed...definitely didn't feel like SS when I looked at it earlier. Not a bad 15's worth!
Regards, Tony