Ultrasonic Cleaner

Any idea who the importers/wholesalers are?

Cheers

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

looking at

( search ultrasonic ) there must be a difference... 3 cleaners =< 1 lid !!

Will anyone buying one please report to this group on how well it works please.

I bought a 10 l bath years ago second hand from " seven sales ", but I can't remember what it cost.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Last year I bought one very similar to the Aldi item from e-bay for around the same price, for the wife to clean her jewellery. The cleaning cycle is fixed at 3 minutes and it need about 3-4 cycles to clean some of the gold, using a weak washing-up detergent solution to break the surface tension.

Its actually mild enough to clean emeralds too, something which is generally *not* recommended for Ultrasonics as they will fracture the stones.

From memory I think the maximum size piece that would fit in the tank was around 5"x2"x2" for full immersion. A larger piece may have fitted without the basket but generally it is recommended that items are not placed directly on the bottom surface where the U/S generaors are fitted as this may damage them. I have to use a suspension basket in my industrial U/S cleaner to avoid this.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Gold ???????? Emeralds ??????????? That proves the North / South divide at Watford Gap still exists.

Gert is still having to make do with two 8" diamond files from Arc Euro..........................

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I tried to get away with buying her 2 small adjustable spanners for clip-on earrings but she woudn't wear 'em

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Phew!!! I got away with diamond files too... She does stained glass.

Joules

Reply to
Joules

That's a lot of diamonds! :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Actually my wife is very partial to tiny spanners, her favourites being are a couple of 2" Crescents.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

...and each one in its own individual setting too...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Well I was down at Aldi West Drayton a few minutes after 9 and no one else seemed to be paying them much attention. There were only about 25 on the shelf although maybe more in the warehouse. I took four in the end. A mate wants one too and I'm sure they'll come in handy as presents. I'll report back on how they work.

-- Dave Baker

***
Reply to
Dave Baker

Got one this morning inPerborough, about 20 in stock. Just tried it on a couple of pairs of specs - I'm almost ashamed of the amount of crud that came off, very effective little gadget.

I bought it mainly for camera repairs, lens and shutter mechanisms tend to gum up over the years and sloshing in lighter fluid doesn't always work. Don't know what to use as a cleaning solvent though, warm soapy water doesn't seem right for this job

Reply to
Henry Springer

Glad to hear it works well. To use flammable liquids in the US, put the liquid and the dirty parts in a sealed jar and immerse that in soapy water in the tank. That way you avoid any fumes near the electrics.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

I picked one up too - as already reported, plenty available, and it seems to do the business.

In the instructions they talk about cleaning solutions suitable for ultrasonic cleaners, or water with mild detergent. I suspect the important thing is breaking the surface tension rather than aggressive solvent action - bear in mind that mine looks like the main bowl is metallised plastic (not metal), so don't expect it to be resistant to organic solvents.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

About 12 in stock at my local Aldi (Sandbach) this lunchtime. I'm guessing that they sold about 6 before I got mine.

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

well mine's got 40,000Hz marked on it...sounds ultrasonic to me! Just cleaned nOxygen Regulator in it...just as good as my commercial jobby, and at £15 !!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

I have a PDF instruction manual for my Lucas-Branson U/S bath which has tips on how to get the best results and what solutions to use. A competely different unit I know, but if anybody wants a copy of the PDF e-mail me and I'll send it over.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Definitely metallised plastic (even though the instructions mention stainless steel).

Has anyone taken one apart yet to see how they work?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

workshop lamp for 4.99 which cheered me up a bit.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Bad form to answer one's own post. But If I can't flame me, who can?

The tray is _not_ plastic, it's slightly magnetic stainless steel. I was distracted by the pressed in Max level line and label, which felt as if there were some sprue on them.

Inside, there appears to be a 555 timer, a low voltage supply for the switches, timer and LEDs, a 12V relay to turn on the power to the oscillator, its rectifier and the oscillator itself. The oscillator seems to be a driver transistor, a couple of BU 406 400V 7A switching transistors and a couple of transformers. there are a couple of chokes as well. Assorted capacitors and resistors to glue it all together. I didn't disassemble it as far as the transducer (should have) But it looks as if it is a Piezo electric one.

It definitely does seem to be the genuine article. I have two at the moment, but I think that I might pop back to Aldi tomorrow to see if they have any left.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yep, definitely SS of some sort.

A couple of pictures (you inspired me! :) )

I'd happily use it outside and opened up with volatile solvents.

Reply to
Jim Crowther