Ultrasonic Cleaner

Just a quick heads up for a cheap ultrasonic cleaner , coming soon to an Aldi near you

It's so cheap even I might buy one!!

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

At that price, its a pity that you can't synchronise multiple oscillators. It'd be worth buying a dozen just to use as parts to make a larger cleaner!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Would you need to synchronise them for your idea to work?

I must admit, it looks like a very good deal. While this isn't the type of thing you use often, at £15 it is probably worth the money.

--

73 Brian
Brian Reay

If I was to buy one of these what sort of things can be cleaned in one, am I on the right lines with carburettor bodies and brass fittings etc. Having never seen one before they sound good in the advert, but what does everyone who has one use it for and how good is it?

Thanks - Paul.

Reply to
Paul swindell

In the past I've used one to clean clocks and pocket watches that were very scruffy- always to good effect.

I've also used one for car parts (in the days I ran old cars).

Good for jewellery, except pearls!

At £15, a just in case purchase seems justified.

__

73 Brian
Brian Reay

Hmmm, same here...could be quite handy.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I have _heared_ that those El Cheapos have only some kind of buzzer, but no ultrasonic transducer. So the result might be not what you wanted.

Just my 0.02 EUR

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

We used to have one at work that was used almost exclusively for false teeth!

Reply to
Matthew Sylvester

I'll get one for me mum and do the carburettor bits while she's away on holiday!

Bill H Derby

Reply to
Bill H

Ultrasonic baths are very good for cleaning parts with awkward holes and internal passages (carburettors). A lot depends on the fluid used, I use an amonia based solution for brass clock and musical box parts and it brightens them up very nicely, however it tends to turn aluminium alloys a bit black so not very good on carbs, I would probably use white spirit for doing them. Most users of these little units use a soapy water type fluid, it just needs something in there to break the surface tension. they are great for jewellery and spectacle cleaning. I design ultrasonic cleaning machines for a living, our latest machine has just been dismantled for air freighting out to China, it is 13 metres long and is going into a factory making computer hard drives. Unfortunately £14.99 will not buy one of these, you will have to save up around 1.1 million $US

Phil

Reply to
pgp001

So, can you tell us if a large machine with multiple transducers to excite the bath, needs to have those transducers sychronised in some way?

(The question sort of came up earlier.)

__

73 Brian
Brian Reay

They are normally wired in series, be they piezo-electric or wound components, that way they all get the same drive.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I use one for cleaning SCUBA breathing regulators. Brings them up a treat when used with the 'secret solution' .Amazing how much crud, corrosion and salt water debris it brings off! I made one years ago out of one of those things that they use in photocopier rooms for shaking the paper...well I think that was what it was for!!! At £ 15 I'm having 2 of them!!

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

I would be surprised if this cleaner is actually ultrasonic, though I would be glad to be corrected by anyone who has bought one. Similar equipment at this price in the past has only been described as a sonic cleaner and has merely comprised a motorised shaker operating at an infinitesimal frequency compared to a unit with a transducer. I threw mine away when I got a real ultrasonic bath and saw the difference in performance.

Cliff Coggin Kent UK

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Hi Cliff,

When you say that you got a real ultrasonic bath, where did you get it from & how much?

Cheers,

Zed

Reply to
zedbert

Hello Zed.

I got mine several years ago from one of the clock material supply houses, I forget which one. It cost about £300 as far as I recall. If you are looking for such a tank I have heard good reports about Walker Electronics Ltd.

who often have ex-demo models at reduced price.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Surely if advertised as Ultrasonic and found not to be so, there would be grounds for a Court case?? Goods not as described and Goods not fit for purpose etc etc IMHO!

I'll risk it for £15...any one else?

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

This one is clearly described as ultrasonic, it also bears a close resemblance to a small ultrasonic cleaner wholesaled quite widely for about the same price.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I just wonder if anyone is going to be able to buy one before they run out of stock. Down to my local Aldi at 9am on Thursday I think.

-- Dave Baker

***
Reply to
Dave Baker

Yep - I don't expect it will be long before Aldi stock's gone...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree