US thread taps

Does anyone know where I might buy a 5/8-20UN tap? A spiral point would be great, but any port in a storm! Steve (Sheffield)

Reply to
Steve

You could try WNT Ltd,Europa Link,Sheffield.They have a website for contact details.

Reply to
mark

Try

show a 55 degree one but a phone call should find you a 60 degree one. Very helpful company

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

On 26 Oct, 21:22, Bob Minchin wrote

And it might last long enough to tap one hole.Once when I was a bit stuck for 11/16" UNF taps while I was waiting on them getting made I called tracy tools up.Said they had some,all well known British makes he said.Well I bought them,not cheap either,didn`t recognise a single name and didn`t get any production out them either.Needless to say not on the supplier list. Mark.

Reply to
mark

The Tap and Die company

don't list the 20tpi version only the -18 UNF and the -11 UNC, but say "all other sizes manufactured/supplied".

Alan Bain

Reply to
Alan Bain

I have to say I've had very good service and quality items from Tracy and their prices seem very reasonable. If you know places that are 'Generally cheaper' I'd like to hear of them.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Mark, Can't say that aligns with my experience with Tracy, but I do always buy HSS - just maybe you got hold of a dodgy CS one. win some lose some I guess.

I've also used tap& die co as suggested by Alan for less common threads such as UNS and UNEF where they have made them for me to order. Not cheap but the customer was paying anyway. All have lasted well.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I've had one really bad die from Tracy which on examination under the microscope had no lead in and unsuprisingly wouldn't cut anything unless it was aleady threaded. However, Tracy replaced it with no quibbles, despite this being at Alexandra Palace, where I had no receipt or other proof of purchase, and the new one is fine. I too have found their HSS taps/dies better than their CS range.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

I only buy HSS Bob.Re price of getting them made.A sp pt 11/16" UNF HSS tap with extended shank costs about =A330 from Norman (OSG)

Mark.

Reply to
mark

Chaps

Thanks for all the replies, I e-mailed WNT but it bounced, will have to ring them in the week.

I have bought from Tracey tools in the past and always call in when down there on holiday - haven't got anything bad to say about them.

I have also dealt with the Tap and Die Co. I was very impressed with their service.

Will try WNT first as I can nip down there then the T&D................

Thanks again

Steve (Sheffield)

Reply to
Steve

An update on this one.

I got throught to WNT - £147 + VAT etc to have a tap made.

Tap and Die have hand pattern taps on the shelf at under £40 a piece inclusive.

Both firms were very pleasant and helpful.

Waiting for customer response now, but I know where I'll be buying from if the need arises.

Steve (Sheffield)

Reply to
Steve

There's a LH 5/8-20 tap on ebay.com (not ebay.co.uk) for $14.99

probably not much use though - 5/8-20 is uncommon, even in the US.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

. You think? I've a current catalog in front of me that lists not only 5/8-20tpi but 5/8 in the following TPIs: 10, 12, 14, 18, 24, 27, 32, 36, 40, 48,

56 and 64...

As for online:

lists more than a couple as well.

Tom