What I did in the holidays.....

To take you away from all the conspiracy crap I had a little fun over Christmas (BTW the crap is filtered out by my news server so I don't even need the rules - I had a look on Google groups and was appalled at the quantity. )

I started making an SU carb from castings. I wanted a special short bodied version of the HV4 to fit in a confined space and managed to get some bare castings. First photo - a bare body casting

Next photo machining the dashpot with it held in a cat head with a fixed steady. No room for lack of concentricity here.
Next photo threaded the dashpot damper thread. The finished dashpot is held onto a register machined on a plate. The thread is 13/16x24tpi so was done with a 3/8 UNF tap in a holder with the lathe at 24tpi
Once the dashpot was done the body could be machined to suit the dashpot. The main body casting has a stub to hold it cast in that will be cut off later to complete the jet mount (which is another bastard thread of 13 tpi).

More to come as I do the next stage...

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Very nice. Is the casting something the club is doing ?

Reply to
John Stevenson

And there was me naively thinking you would be busy making CVA changewheel blanks

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Nope. It's favour from a mate. The original version was made for supercharged pre war MG's where the carb sits between the supercharger and the chassis rail - hence the need to be short.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

appalled

I take it Mrs Ping saw little of young Charles over Christmas & New Year

The last of all our various house guests only left yesterday so I only managed to demolish one wall, and rip off all the internal cladding from the barn that will become a workshop :(

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The only Mrs Ping who referred to me in such terms joined the choir invisible some time ago!

Sneaked the time in when the current Mrs P was:

1/ Shopping 2/ With in-laws down to stay 3/ Bored of my company

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

That is ... funny. Never heard about that way making threads. The principle is clear, what do I have to know more? Except that the lathe's tpi should be the same as the tap's? :-)))

... and a happy new year! Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

You could try it with a different TPI. Doesn't work aswell.

Seriously that's about all there is to it. Useful for Ali.

Charles

Reply to
littlewrongs

I hadn't thought of doing it that way, I've achieved similar results with odd sized threads by wedging a piece of wood between the side of the hole and the tap to make it cut large -but your method is much neater and more predictable.

Anyway, why do you need a short SU carb -are you doing something exciting like cramming a supercharger in?

Regards Kevin

PS nice project

Reply to
Kevin

Charles Ping wrote: ... snipped

Some useful ideas for work holding and threading for a beginner like me Charles - but what's a "cat head"?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

A cat head is well illustrated here:

And yes Kevin. Supercharger

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Aha! One more drip into the puddle of knowledge :-)

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

I'm really pissed off now! We had a bit of a bearing failure on our computer room generator (alternator runs all the time, diesel kicks in on mains failure). I'm absolutely certain that the manufacturer's service chaps over-packed the bearings at the last service. The result was a bearing running hot enough to soften the balls and races and 3/16" of play in a 4" ID bearing.

We had the option of the manufacturers doing a repair, six weeks + £12k; new shaft, 2 days + £25k.

I was a bit pissed off on account of the fact that _we_ do similar repairs on much lager steam turbine rotors, but wouldn't be able to do the job economically. I was also pissed that the manufacturers had us over a barrel and I felt that they should be admitting liability.

The bosses went for a new shaft in the end. If I'd remembered then, I would have loaded the wrecked shaft in a Transit and taken it to John for a quote...

Bugger :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand